We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exploratorium or California Academy of Sciences with Teen

atlanta
Level Contributor
258 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Exploratorium or California Academy of Sciences with Teen

We have the Citypass so we can visit both though time limits may make us chose between these two. I have a teenage daughter who also hates big crowds in small spaces if this is an issue.

Any tips? Thanks!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Exploratorium or California Academy of Sciences with Teen

What day are you thinking of going ... and what month? Both will be crowded weekends and more so during summer.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,440 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Exploratorium or California Academy of Sciences with Teen

Well, the Academy of Sciences is certainly not a small place. Nor is the Exploratorium.

It would be wonderful if you could do both. They are unique to each other.

Have you looked at the websites?

http://www.calacademy.org/

http://www.exploratorium.edu/

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,440 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Exploratorium or California Academy of Sciences with Teen

(Sal, HI, we are tagging each other this afternoon.....<grin>)

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Lodi
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Exploratorium or California Academy of Sciences with Teen

My daughter (16) just said the Academy of Science. Butterflys, and birds and seahorses and penguins. It does depend when your going, we went on the free Wednesday and it was insanely crowded. Just go early and get your tickets to the planetarium show for later then get inline for the "indoor terrarium" complete with live animals inside.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,912 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Exploratorium or California Academy of Sciences with Teen

Academy of Sciences. A lot of the exhibits at the Exploratorium are geared toward younger kids- ie. elementary to middle school ages.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Exploratorium or California Academy of Sciences with Teen

I have to disagree with bella ... I took my niece when she was 14 (very bright girl who is now at Davis majoring in computer science) ... and I had to drag her out of there after 3 hours as we had to meet up with my brother. That place made her light up like a Christmas tree!

What I love about the Exploratorium is the hands-on aspect and the wonderment that comes from that sort of discovery.

I haven't been to the new Academy and while I loved the old Planatarium, I'm not as enamoured of the natural history (stuffed animal) type stuff.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,440 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Exploratorium or California Academy of Sciences with Teen

Okay, I have been to the Academy of Sciences and I don't agree with Sal.....the spaces are wonderful, the planetarium is outstanding, the rain forest is mesmerizing as you walk through it. There are probably stuffed animals, I guess I just didn't look at them or notice them. The Aquarium is quite nice, but if you have been to the one in Monterey is is quite ho-hum.

All in all it is quite an educational experience in natural history, etc. etc.

They probably try to do too much, but I certainly would not write it off. You can't possibly see it in a couple of hours. You need to choose.

atlanta
Level Contributor
258 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Exploratorium or California Academy of Sciences with Teen

We're arriving in San Francisco on Friday for 5 days so I guess we should try to do both

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Exploratorium or California Academy of Sciences with Teen

Ohh, teen daughter ... you must take her to the exhibit of Cartier jewlery at the Legion of Honor. It is fabulous. I have seen it about a dozen times and I'm still in awe. Simply beatiful things, awesome craftsmanship.

The crowd thins substantially around 2:30pm. Museum is open until 5:15.

famsf.org/legion/exhibitions/exhibition.asp…

10. Re: Exploratorium or California Academy of Sciences with Teen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2010, 06:26