We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

several ?? for June family trip

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
340 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
several ?? for June family trip

Hi we are a family of 3 adults and 1 teen we will fly into SFO on a sat afternoon and leave for Santa Cruz area weds. morning.

1. what is the best way to get from the Columbus Motor inn?

2. we would like to explore neighborhoods nearby the first night suggestions?

3. Sun we have booked alcatraz night tour. We would like to bike golden bridge is the guided tour better? or doing on your own easy? then lunch in sausolito.

4. Mon just seeing the city coit tour, lombardy street, etc.. Thinking of doing AM free chinatown walking tour.

5. Tues want to drive to Muirwood early am then go and picinic and tour a winery in sonoma area any suggestions remember will have teen???

Weds leave for santa cruz any good routes???

Thanks please let me know any suggestions you may have.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: several ?? for June family trip

1. I take it you aren't renting your car at the airport? With 4 people, I'd suggest getting a cab. BART will be $32+ and then a $10 cab ride on top of that. A cab will be about $45. If you need more room than the average vehicle, there are cabs which are minivans and the taxi dispatcher at the airport can assist you.

2. North Beach. Walk up Columbus a few blocks from your hotel or hop on the 30-Stockton bus which runs along Columbus. There are lots of restaurants in the area. For a large group, Capp's on Green and Powell is a good possibility.

3. Do the bike ride on your own. It's very easy, there will be lots of others and doing it on your own pace and stopping to take photos is part of the fun.

4. Do the Chinatown tour. I've taken it and it's excellent. At the end of the tour they'll pass around a list of recommended restaurants also.

5. Check the Sonoma board and search for "kid friendly winery" or something along that line and I'm sure you'll find a lot of info.

6. I would take 280S->85S->17S to Santa Cruz. To get to the freeway from the Columbus Motor Inn: turn onto Columbus towards the bay (north), make a R onto Bay St. This will end at The Embarcadero. Turn right onto the Embarcadero. At the ballpark, the road will bend to the right and become King St. This will feed onto I280S.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
340 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: several ?? for June family trip

thanks that helps. Is there a car rental near columbus motor inn?

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
9,471 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: several ?? for June family trip

If you're driving back to the SF airport after Santa Cruz, then I'd suggest taking Highway 1 south from Daly City along the coast to Santa Cruz. Then, on the way back, take Highway 17 to I-280 to I-380 on your way back to the airport.

--
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: several ?? for June family trip

My vote goes with BlubberBreath - take Highway 1 in at least one, if not both directions between San Francisco and Santa Cruz.

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,504 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: several ?? for June family trip

BlubberBreath !!!

That's funny_____sorry simba.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,468 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: several ?? for June family trip

OK.....I am obviously one who travels frequently between San Francisco and Santa Cruz. If you want to take both the Highway 1 route one way and the 280/85/17 route to go the other way, Simba's way is the way to do it.

The coastal route down is nice if you have time...actually it isn't that much longer and you have the opportunity to stop in Pescadero at Duarte's Tavern (pronounced Doo-arts) and see the Pescadero lighthouse, and the elephant seal reserve at Ano Nuevo. (That, of course, will take more time, but probably worth it.) Duarte's if off the highway a little, watch for the turnout. They also have a killer artichoke soup and the little town is very worth a stop, just for the atmosphere, and the funny store that sells.....well, everything.

Then, the route Simba outlined to get back to the airport is the best one.

If you want any information about Santa Cruz, let me know. On the Santa Cruz forum on the left side of the screen click on 'things to do' and then scroll down to "sights and activities" where you will get locals' descriptions.

Let me know if you need more information, and if you are staying overnight, please let me know so that I can steer you into the best areas.

Enjoy your trip.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,468 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: several ?? for June family trip

Forgot to say that Hwy 280, which you should take on the way to the airport, has been called "the most beautiful freeway in the world' as it runs through the foothills of the Coast Range, west of the San Francisco Peninsula. It is also very new, very wide and very fast. (Well, don't go TOO fast <grin>)

8. Re: several ?? for June family trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2010, 06:20