We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from SF to Grand Canyon, Las Vegas?

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Yonkers, New York
4 posts
Save Topic
Drive from SF to Grand Canyon, Las Vegas?

Hi, will be spending a few days in SF in early June, and then thinking of driving from there to the Grand Canyon and Las Vegas. How long would a reasonably leisurely drive take and any suggestions? thanks.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive from SF to Grand Canyon, Las Vegas?

By the fastest route, it's about 10 hours to Vegas (I5 -> I15). Could be much longer but much more interestting if you go through Yosemite. This route is closed in winter and into spring. Since snow just fell, it might even be closed in early June.

You could also work Death Valley into it. You don't want to go there in the summer though.

From LV to the south rim of GC is 6-7 hours.

Edited: 28 April 2010, 01:36
Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive from SF to Grand Canyon, Las Vegas?

It's 570 miles so 10 hours would be a quick trip. I once did it in about 8 1/2 half but that was breaking the speed limit (I was much younger) stopping once for gas & once for a restroom break.

I would figure at lest 11 with a lunch break & a couple of other stops.

Edited: 28 April 2010, 02:03
Yonkers, New York
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive from SF to Grand Canyon, Las Vegas?

thanks for the info. we are thinking of making it a 2 day drive to Vegas to get some sights in, so if Yosemite is open, that sounds like a great idea. What is the temp. like in early June? is it better to go to Las Vegas first and then GC, or could we work it the other way, as we will be flying out of Vegas? Thanks again for your input :)

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
56,520 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive from SF to Grand Canyon, Las Vegas?

Hi smiffydub

The best place for planning multi-destination trips such as yours is the Road Trips forum.

Yosemite National Park is always open. Tioga Pass is the route from west to east that probably won't be open in early June. You can visit Yosemite (reservations are essential), then drive down Hwy 99 and east to Las Vegas. It's another 5 hours to the Grand Canyon from LV. Reservations are also necessary in the Grand Canyon. June is a popular month to travel.

Yonkers, New York
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive from SF to Grand Canyon, Las Vegas?

thanks so much, will check it out :)

6. Re: Drive from SF to Grand Canyon, Las Vegas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2010, 06:19