We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"wild parrots" Telegraph Hill common sighting?

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Port Saint Lucie...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Topic
"wild parrots" Telegraph Hill common sighting?

Are the parrots a common sighting or a rarity? Is there a time of day when they are more likely to be seen? Early am, or evening?

Thanks for any info.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
14,041 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "wild parrots" Telegraph Hill common sighting?

It's kind of hit-and-miss to catch the parrots at Telegraph Hill, as they move around during the day. The best place is where they roost for the night, in the trees along the Embacardero near the Ferry Building (by Justin Herman Plaza); they usually appear an hour or so prior to sunset.

But keep your ears open as you wander about the city during they day -- you can frequently hear them squawking as they fly overhead!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
973 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "wild parrots" Telegraph Hill common sighting?

I have yet to see them... but I've only *tried* twice coming down from Coit Tower. My dad has seen them several times, both by accident.

One of my favorite San Francisco movies though. Definitely made me glad I live here.

-CC

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
8,727 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "wild parrots" Telegraph Hill common sighting?

I've only seen them 3 or 4 times, even though I've gone up the Filbert Stairs on Telegraph Hill dozens of times. (It was a popular lunchtime challenge when I worked in the area.) I do recall hearing them without being able to see them.

Apparently there are several flocks in the Bay Area. I've seen parrots near my home in Pacifica, and I've also seen parrots in Mountain View.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "wild parrots" Telegraph Hill common sighting?

I've heard from other people that there are some in the Presidio as well but I've neither seen nor heard them personally.

Port Saint Lucie...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: "wild parrots" Telegraph Hill common sighting?

Thanks to all of you for your response. I will keep my eyes and my ears tuned for the Parrots while visiting your City. Thanks again, I have gotten a wealth of good info from you all for my trip! I plan to give you a TR in the middle of May after my return.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,787 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "wild parrots" Telegraph Hill common sighting?

I run along Embarcadero and up the Filbert Street steps often, and I see them quite a bit. The last few weeks they've been closer to Justin Herman Plaza, in the trees lining Embarcadero.

I think if you take a walk down there and head up the steps to Coit Tower, you may catch them. Definitely keep your ears open!

Edited: 03 May 2010, 17:03
atlanta
Level Contributor
258 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: "wild parrots" Telegraph Hill common sighting?

We saw them last week as they flew over the Farmer's Market on Tuesday morning. We didn't see them on Telegraph Hill. We own parrots so were very happy to see and hear them fly over!

8. Re: "wild parrots" Telegraph Hill common sighting?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2010, 05:15