We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SFO connection Canada to China

SF Bay Area
Level Contributor
95 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
SFO connection Canada to China

My cousin has a layover/connection tomorrow a.m. and I'm hoping to drive in to see her from the East Bay. Does anyone know if it's possible for us to spend time hanging out in the airport (outside security area) if my cousin arrives on a United flight from Canada at 9:30am-ish and has a departing int'l (to China) flight at 12noon? If yes, about how much time might we be able to have together and any suggestions about where to hang out with a 4-month-old and a 21-month-old?

Thanks!

LA
Level Contributor
10,033 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: SFO connection Canada to China

Which Canadian city is she flying from?

If Vancouver, she will likely clear immigration/customs in Vancouver rather than SFO and might be out of the terminal in about 30-45 minutes. If not Vancouver, she will have to go through US immigration/customs and that could take up to 90 minutes. Then, she should be back at the security gate by no later than 10:30.

Cutting it very close. You may end up talking for only 10 minutes outside on of the terminals.

--
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SFO connection Canada to China

cabowithkids writes>>....Does anyone know if it's possible for us to spend time hanging out in the airport (outside security area)....<<

Like many airports, SFO is filled with people "hanging out" waiting for their flights and/or waiting for the arrival of family, friends, or others. There's (overpriced and underqualitied) restaurants, exhibits, and lots of plain seating areas on both sides of the security barriers -- see www.flysfo.com/web/page/as_airportmaps.htm for an interactive map of what's where.

I don't think you'll have enough time to go anywhere offsite to "hang out" but if for some reason you did, you could always catch BART to the San Bruno BART Station (Tanforan mall is across the street -- isn't "hanging out" a mall thing?), somewhere in the Mission, downtown San Francisco, or the Ferry Building and surrounds.

SF Bay Area
Level Contributor
95 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SFO connection Canada to China

Thanks, PareoB. She's flying from Toronto, where I remember clearing US customs/immigration before boarding. I'll hope for the best. Your thoughts on 10:30 to clear security is helpful. I was hoping it might be less than the recommended 2-3 hrs since it's a connecting flight.

LA
Level Contributor
10,033 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: SFO connection Canada to China

It really doesn' t make any difference if it's a connecting flight or not. Once she goes outside the security gates to meet you, she will have to stand in line just as if it were her only flight.

For a flight to China, I'll bet she's departing from the Tom Bradley International Terminal. They have lots of quick food restaurants and some places to sit and chat on the second floor.

You don't have enought time to leave the airport complex., in my opinion.

Edited: 05 May 2010, 16:47
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SFO connection Canada to China

PareoB says: "For a flight to China, I'll bet she's departing from the Tom Bradley International Terminal"

This isn't likely unless she gets on the wrong flight out of Canada and winds up in Los Angeles.

United flights from Canada arrive at the domestic terminal. She will be leaving out of *SFO's* International Terminal. If she were not meeting you she could make this change of terminal without leaving the secured area.

The International Terminal would be a better one to meet up with her -- there are more places to sit etc. outside security. There aren't even many places to sit down outside the security area at T-3 (United's domestic terminal).

San Mateo...
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SFO connection Canada to China

Tom Bradley? That's LAX not SFO.

LA
Level Contributor
10,033 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: SFO connection Canada to China

OOps. Yes, of course Tom Bradley International Terminal is in LAX, not SFO.

For some reason I had a picture of it in my head as I was composing my prior post, sorry.

--
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: SFO connection Canada to China

So did your comments and suggestions apply to LAX or SFO, PareoB?

9. Re: SFO connection Canada to China

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 November 2010, 04:17