We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary SFO to possibly Huntington Beach

Level Contributor
154 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Itinerary SFO to possibly Huntington Beach

I would like to fly into SFO bike the Golden Gate, see Alcatraz day or night (will pre purchase tickets), some union square shopping, Pier 39 and Fisherman's Wharf, possible show one night. Sailing either here or on the Bay or further on the trip. Whichever area is better. Probably staying at the Monaco. I'm thinking probably 3 nights.

On towards Big Sur would like to rent dune buggies or ride horses at Pisimo Beach and hike to the water fall.

Not sure how long it takes to get from San Franciso to here and how far apart these things are. Would like to also include a meal at Nepenthe or other experience in this area. Not sure if we need to spend 1 night here or not. Should we head to Pisimo Beach first then the waterfall? Suggestions and hotel suggestions.

Would like to try surfing not sure what area is best for a beginner. Possible cruise somewhere around the surfing area instead of SFO.

We are a family of 5 all the kids are 21 plus please keep that in mind when suggesting hotels and the area for us to stay. Need suggestions on if the best area would be Huntington Beach, Santa Barbara. Would like suggestions on hotels that might be good for this age group. Would like a little down time at a resort with a pool but, an area that has pubs shopping and such for the kids.

We will fly out of whatever area we end up in.

A couple of extra things that we would like to add if there is time would be Roaring Camp Train Tour, Sonoma visit, Hearst Castle and Yosemite.

Get to SFO evening 29MAY too late to do anything depart afternoon from wherever 4JUN.

I would so appreciate any suggestions. The extra items I listed are only if time permits but would like to try to get all the other in. I really need suggestions on how long to stay in each place and how long it takes to get there.

Thank you in advance for you help.

Ferry Building Marketplace
Points of Interest & Landmarks, Shopping Malls,
Treasure Fest
Flea & Street Markets,
Heart of the City Farmers' Market
Farmers Markets, Flea & Street Markets
San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary SFO to possibly Huntington Beach

Try more specific questions in the applicable forums. Google or Yahoo maps have mileage and approximate driving times. 3 nights is good for San Francisco. I would make a separate posting for sailboat rentals or you might have to do a websearch and make some phone calls. Yosemite is very tough to get lodging without far in advance reservations although there are places outside of the park that are not so bad, post at the Yosemite forum. See www.hearstcastle.com for info and tour reservations. For hotel recommendations, state your budget or whether you want expensive, moderate or inexpensive places. I think for surfing, you want Huntington Beach although there are many places up and down the coast and I am not an expert. Again, specific questions in the specific forums will get better response.

San Francisco CA
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary SFO to possibly Huntington Beach

dane - See www.adventureout.com/learnhowtosurf.html

for a surfing school near San Francisco. I am sure you can find sailing here too. There is so much to see in this area (Sonoma can take most of the day if you want to visit several wineries) that you might consider only going as far south as Big Sur/Hearst Castle instead of continuing to Southern Cal.

Edited: 14 May 2010, 01:39
Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
21,280 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary SFO to possibly Huntington Beach

How many days altogether? You mentioned May 29- June 4. Is that all the time you have? If so, it's not enough for all you would like to do.

Many travelers to California plan their first overnight stop in Monterey. This gives you time for taking in the very family friendly beach town of Santa Cruz or seeing the redwood trees at Henry Cowell Redwoods.

Monterey has a world class aquarium, as well.

SF to Monterey via Highway 1 is 3 hours without stops.

Monterey to Big Sur is an hour's drive.

Pismo Beach is 3 hours from Big Sur (without stops) , so you can't really backtrack for the "waterfall". I assume you mean McWay Falls at Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park? You'll pass that on your way down the coast, so make your stop there after your meal at Nepenthe. McWay Falls is about 8 miles south of Nepenthe.

Other places of interest south of Monterey:

Point Lobos State Reserve

Bixby Bridge

Pfeiffer Beach

Salmon Creek Trail

Ragged Point

Elephant Seal Rookery

Hearst Castle

I tend to recommend Pismo Lighthouse Suites for families since the rooms are HUGE and have 2 bathrooms. It sits on a bluff overlooking the ocean and has a pool. Finding lodging will be the trickiest part with California's limit of 4 people to most hotel rooms. You may have to get 2 rooms in most of your destinations.

4. Re: Itinerary SFO to possibly Huntington Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 November 2010, 07:38
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question