We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report - Day 1 - Arrival

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
314 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Trip report - Day 1 - Arrival

My husband, two daughters (DD17 and DD14) arrived in San Francisco yesterday around 5 pm. There were no direct flights from Indy to San Francisco, so we had a layover in Minneapolis. Flight out of Minneapolis was supposed to be delayed at least an hour because of mechanical problems, but wound up only delayed by 45 min. It seems that there wasn’t a mechanical problem, just a miscommunication. Hurray!

We hit quite a bit of turbulence about midway through the flight. I was so glad I had taken Bonine; it helps so much with motion sickness. The rough flight didn’t bother me at all.

We grabbed a taxi at the airport, and it was quite a ride! It started out okay, but got progressively worse. As we approached the city, I was impressed by the view of the houses climbing up the hills like stair steps. The driver seemed nice. He was polite, and friendly, but drove like a madman. He kept driving in the turn lanes, speeding past all of the slow traffic, and then cutting someone off to get back into the correct lane. He would also speed right up to a stopped car, and slam on his brakes at the last minute. He even did this once to a man who was getting his toddler out of the back seat of his car, and then the driver complained that the man was a bad dad! I kept squeezing my husband’s knee, and once I even said, “We’re going to die.” The worst part came at the end of the ride. I told him the street address and intersection for our rental apartment on Jackson St., but he hit Jackson a couple of blocks too far west. The street is one way, so he couldn’t turn in the correct direction. Instead, he backed down it! I’m not kidding! When a car came up the street travelling in the correct direction, and blocked our path, he said, “That’s okay, they’ll get out of the way.” And they did. I’d had enough by then, so I said we could just get out where we were, and walk downhill to the apartment.

Our apartment is lovely, with a nice view of the Bay Bridge. We unpacked, and I took pictures of the apartment before we had a chance to mess it up. We walked to dinner at Sotto Mare. Everyone enjoyed their meal. My husband got the cioppino, and he ate the whole thing, minus a few tidbits the girls and I stole from him. With the time difference, we were all getting pretty tired, so we headed back to the apartment and called it a night.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Minneapolis
Minneapolis
Minnesota
Jackson
Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY
San Francisco Bay Bridge
San Francisco Bay Bridge
1,595 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,686 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report - Day 1 - Arrival

Looking forward to your trip reports. Wait till you ride a cab across town and over the hills. That's really fun!

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,728 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report - Day 1 - Arrival

What a start.

I got quite a laugh reading that but I'm sure it wasn't funny for you at the time.

looking forward to the rest of your trip report.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report - Day 1 - Arrival

I hate to say this but used to love scaring business visitors on the hills :)

Sounds like it's gonna be a fun ride! More please....

Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report - Day 1 - Arrival

Thanks to your post and the successive comments, I now know the origin of my acrophobia. It all started when my brother-in-law drove us through SF in his manual transmission vehicle with a loose stick.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
33,009 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report - Day 1 - Arrival

>>Thanks to your post and the successive comments, I now know the origin of my acrophobia. It all started when my brother-in-law drove us through SF in his manual transmission vehicle with a loose stick.>>

Oh, yeah. Before Modern Age, also known as BMA, Studebaker made a car with a "hill holder". (those were the days before automatic transmission). If you braked on a hill, the car would automatically hold you there and not roll down if you released the brake when you were trying to push in the clutch and also use the gas pedal.

Don't know why it didn't catch on. I have a lovely little Acura Integra with manual transmission, and I would be scared to death to drive it in San Francisco. Luckily, we have another car with automatic.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Charleston, SC
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report - Day 1 - Arrival

Indeed, Puter!

No wonder I moved to the "Lowcountry" - no more hills!.

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
314 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report - Day 1 - Arrival

I hadn't thought about what it would be like to drive a manual here! That would be terrible! I wouldn't want to ride a bike up or down a lot of the hills here, but I've seen people doing it. Going up would surely give me a heart attack, and going down would scare me to death.

Bay City, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,266 posts
1,282 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report - Day 1 - Arrival

Loved your TR and intro to SF, though I know at the time it wasn't funny/fun. But the experience......

9. Re: Trip report - Day 1 - Arrival

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2010, 05:17