We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seat belt laws in SF?

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
719 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Seat belt laws in SF?

Hi All,

Do passengers on the 2nd and 3rd row of a minivan need to buckle up as well as the front seat?

Pls adv.

Thx

Kenny

1. Re: Seat belt laws in SF?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 15 June 2010, 15:05
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
61,897 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seat belt laws in SF?

When we drove across the US years ago, our kids were excited to learn which states required passengers in the back seat to wear seat belts and which ones didn't. Of course we all wore belts all the time, but it was interesting to note the variety of state laws. For example, I think that Arizona only requires children in the back seat to be belted or in car seats; adults can be unbelted back there.

I have forgotten. Are the two children in your travel group young enough to need car seats or booster seats?

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,685 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seat belt laws in SF?

There's a name for unbuckled passengers: projectiles

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seat belt laws in SF?

There's another name for unbuckled passengers: stupid.

Did you see FriscoRoadRunner's post about the two cab passengers who were killed after their cab hit a post going 40MPH. The cab driver walked away. Wanna bet who was buckled and who wasn't?

--
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seat belt laws in SF?

In a nutshell, yes, with this being STATE law, rather than a San Francisco-specific requirement (i.e. you have to continue to comply when you leave the City because both local law enforcement agencies, as well as the California Highway Patrol (CHP) can all enforce the requirements).

The CHP has a nice FAQ on the topic http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/buckleup.html , as well as a "cheat card" showing law enforcement officers which regulations can be used to cite violaters www.chp.ca.gov/community/pdf/ca_vr_laws.pdf . The California Department of Motor Vehicles has the actual law up on their website www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc27315.htm .

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
719 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seat belt laws in SF?

Yup, i read the accident on this forum. Yes, buckle-up saves lifes.

Thanks for sharing the infos.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,069 posts
1,080 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seat belt laws in SF?

Fact: I do use my seat belt - but NOT because the government forces me too.

Fact: Some of us on this thread are old enough to have been children when cars -- gasp! -- didn't even *have* seat belts. Somehow we and millions upon millions of other children and adults survived.

I -- gasp again! somebody give me oxygen! -- even survived riding in the back of an open pickup. Many times.

Kenny13, that was a valid question that really did not require some of the answers you received. All states require passengers to wear seat belts. However, there are a lot of differences as PNWFamily pointed out - not all states require *all* passengers to wear them.

Some states have "primary" seat belt laws which mean it's a main offense while other states have "secondary" laws which mean you need to have committed some offense (such as speeding) to be stopped for not wearing seat belts.

New Hampshire (let freedom ring!) does not require seat belts at all for adults.

For those interested in the variations of states' laws:

ghsa.org/html/…seatbelt_laws.html

__

Please don't send me links to gory car accidents. I'm not arguing that seat belts have saved some lives over the past 50 years or so. However, IMO, unless all states quickly enact severe penalties for cell phone / texting usage whilst driving, all those saved lives will be undone by the vast increase in deaths due to simply *not paying attention* when driving . . . and that is already happening.

Okay, I'm stepping off my soapbox now ;-)

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seat belt laws in SF?

h-B ... I ususally agree with you but this time, not. This is the same argument (I should be able to do as I wish) as motorcyclists have about wearing a helmet.

Well, when I don't have to pay for their hospital care, then we can talk. But too often these people don't have proper health insurance and then we all pay. And even with proper health care, the costs of taking care of a brain dead person are huge. On the family, on society and ultimately, on us all.

They used to say "you can't legislate morality." I'd say "they" have been proved wrong over the past 40 years.

USA
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Seat belt laws in SF?

Having taken a real defensive drivers course decades back today I feel uncomfortable without a seat bealt. In high speed manuevers it gives me so much more control. BUT.. in the one really serious auto accident I was in I was not wearing my seatbelt. Probably the only time in years and that was because I was passenger. Cops came to me in hostpital and said if had been wearing my seat belt I would have been killed.

South Pacific
Level Contributor
4,433 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Seat belt laws in SF?

The bigger issue is, are you required to wear a seatbelt when you ride a cab, or how about an airport shuttle that's taking you to and from the long term parking lot?? What if you have a baby?? Do you need a carseat if you're riding a cab or airport shuttle??