We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip -- Vineyards and Redwoods

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,129 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Day Trip -- Vineyards and Redwoods

We're wanting to do a day trip from SF, north to visit redwoods and vineyards, it will be DH, DW, & DD19 [so we need places that are kid-friendly].

What's the best time to leave SF to cross the golden gate bridge to avoid traffic - or should that not be a concern? I was thinking of leaving between 8-9am

re: Vineyards, we enjoy rose wine. So would like a place that does good rose, we want somewhere down to earth, with beautiful grounds, and would like to be able to tour the vineyards, and see how wine is made. I have found Benziger Vineyard, which is north of Sonoma and looks interesting with it's Biodynamic Vineyard Tram Tour

re: Redwoods, it seems like the choice is between Muir Woods or Armstrong Grove Redwoods

I was thinking either;

Option 1: head straight to Muir Woods be there by 8am, then afterwards head to Sonoma/Napa, then on the way back into the city go to Marin Headlands.

Option 2: straight to Sonoma/Napa, then on to Armstrong Grove, through Bodega Bay, then to Marin Headlands.

I like the look of Benziger Winery, and don't want to miss the tram tour, which runs from 11-3pm. I was thinking Option 2.

How many wineries do you think we could hit? 2-3? I was thinking of focusing in the Sonoma area, as Napa would be more of a detour.

Thoughts?

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,129 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trip -- Vineyards and Redwoods

I have been thinking now, head to Sonoma check out the Plaza area, go to Benziger Winery be there for the 1st tour at 11am, then head over to Glen Market grab some lunch, and go eat it at Jack London State Park. Up to Armstrong Grove Redwoods, explore, then on to Bodega Bay and down to Marin Headlands and back into the city.

Thoughts?

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
10 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trip -- Vineyards and Redwoods

I don't know the best time to cross the GG bridge. I think if you take your Option 2 you could hit the Benzinger tour first ( around 11:00) then head out towards the Armstrong Grove. I reccomend Korbel along the way there- they are not known for Rose wines (actually they are known for California champagnes and they are good)- but they have a variety of tours and the grounds are beautiful. They also have a great deli/food area where you can picnic amongst redwoods and view the Russian River. It is on River Road- before you get to the Armstrong Grove if you are driving towards the ocean. After Korbel you could continue on to the Grove, then head out to Bodega etc.

The River Road and that whole area has other wineries to choose from. You can't really go wrong- it is very scenic.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,955 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trip -- Vineyards and Redwoods

Do option 2. Amstrong Grove is so much better an experience than Muir Woods. No tour buses, for example and you may be there all by yourselves.

Do allow yourself time to explore the historic Sonoma Plaza before going on to Benziger. Browse the boutiques and check out the cheese samples at the Cheese Factory, etc.

The Benziger tours leave every half hour, except at noon.

I wouldn't worry about what time to cross the Golden Gate Bridge...you will be going opposite to the commute direction.

Enjoy your trip.

Edited: 16 June 2010, 00:02
4. Re: Day Trip -- Vineyards and Redwoods

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 December 2010, 08:16