We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Marriott...Union Square/Fisherman's Wharf?

Baton Rouge
Destination Expert
for Baton Rouge
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Which Marriott...Union Square/Fisherman's Wharf?

We're bringing our children to San Francisco for the first time during the third week in July...son, age 14, and daughter, age 20. Daughter has some minor health issues and I'm worried about the walking and getting tired easily. We want to explore the City; love museums, shopping, local restaurants, and want to explore Chinatown, Alcatraz and rent a car one day for a drive on the coast to Muir Woods. We like the Marriott properties but are not locked into them. We want a nice hotel with 2 queen beds in a convenient location. I've researched for days and now need your help. Any specific hotel recommendations would be very much appreciated.

P.S. I'm considering purchasing the City Pass prior to arrival and substituting the Alcatraz tour. Good idea?

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
CocoaBella
Gift & Speciality Shops
Libreria Pino
Gift & Speciality Shops
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Marriott...Union Square/Fisherman's Wharf?

Did you read the Top Question that compares Union Square vs. Fisherman's Wharf as areas to stay? I'd suggest doing that if not. Not many residents recommend staying at the Wharf but many visitors come back and report that they loved it and tell us we're snobs. ~sigh~

The Marriott at the Wharf was renovated about a year ago. The one at Union Square was originally a Crowne Plaza and was renovated and rebranded very recently.

The city is not large and transit is good. Cabs are also quite plentiful if DD gets a bit pooped.

As for musuems, get tickets to the special Impressionist exhibit at the deYoung. Items are on loan from the Musee d'Orsay in Paris which it undergoes renovation. Tickets will be dated and timed. Docent tours are at 11:30 and 1:30 and must be signed up for on the day but in advance and limited to 20 people. www.thinker.org

The Asian Art musuem also has a special exhibit (and has quite an impressive permanent collection also) www.asianart.org

The problem with the Alcatraz option with the City Pass is you have to exchange the Bay Cruise ticket for the Alcatraz ticket so you cannot make an Alcatraz reservation in advance (at least this is how I understand it). In July, advance tickets to Alcatraz are necessary -- especially if you want to take the night tour.

Mentioned in this post
Union Square
Union Square
1,855 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Fisherman's Wharf
Fisherman's Wharf
15,730 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
The Wharf Inn
The Wharf Inn
930 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Baton Rouge
Destination Expert
for Baton Rouge
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Marriott...Union Square/Fisherman's Wharf?

Thanks, Ramblin, for your quick reply and info, especially about the exhibits. I have read most of the Top Questions especially those about hotel location.

On the official Alcatraz website, I read that if you call their office, you can purchase City Passes with their tour substituted and have them mailed to you. Thanks for the reminder that we need to do this in advance.

I'm still up in the air about the hotel. Do you know the exact location of the Marriott Courtyard Downtown? Their rate is very good so I'm assuming that it's not in a convenient location.

Mentioned in this post
Courtyard by Marriott San Francisco Downtown
Courtyard by Marriott...
1,144 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
57,032 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Marriott...Union Square/Fisherman's Wharf?

I live in southern California and almost always recommend Union Square over Fisherman's Wharf. Union Square is close to the top shopping and dining in the city and also has the best transportation options.

The Hilton Union Square has a pool, your son might like that. Other than that there are lots of nice boutique hotels like the Sir Francis Drake.

Mentioned in this post
California
California
United States
Union Square
Union Square
1,855 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Fisherman's Wharf
Fisherman's Wharf
15,730 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Hilton San Francisco Union Square
Hilton San Francisco...
3,171 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Kimpton Sir Francis Drake Hotel
Kimpton Sir Francis...
3,499 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Marriott...Union Square/Fisherman's Wharf?

The Marriott Courtyard is not in a great area for visitors (although it is close to the ballbark). It's not a bad area, just mostly businesses. Not many restaurants and it's a long 2-3 block walk to Market for most transit. I'd stick with either the Fisherman's Wharf or Union Square locations.

Mentioned in this post
Fisherman's Wharf
Fisherman's Wharf
15,730 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Union Square
Union Square
1,855 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
33,001 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Marriott...Union Square/Fisherman's Wharf?

The Marriott Courtyard is on Beach Street between Jones and Leavenworth. two or three blocks from the Maritime National Historic Park.

Not as convenient to transportation and restaurants and shopping as the Union Square location...otherwise fine.

Mentioned in this post
Leavenworth
Leavenworth
Washington
Union Square
Union Square
1,855 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
33,001 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Marriott...Union Square/Fisherman's Wharf?

RamblinSal,

Here we go again....4 minutes apart. We must have the same schedules :~)

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Marriott...Union Square/Fisherman's Wharf?

Hmmm, I was thinking of the Marriott Courtyard on 2nd St at Folsom. Completely forgot there was one at Fisherman's Wharf. For FW, I was thinking of the Marriott on Columbus between Bay and North Point.

This city is littered with Marriott's ~LOL~

Mentioned in this post
Fisherman's Wharf
Fisherman's Wharf
15,730 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Columbus Motor Inn
Columbus Motor Inn
1,291 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
33,001 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Marriott...Union Square/Fisherman's Wharf?

Yes, there is another Courtyard by Marriott on 2nd Street and Folsom.

I hope we have not completely confused ILoveLouisiana. :~)

I still vote for the Marriott Union Square, on Powell and Sutter.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco Marriott Union Square
San Francisco Marriott...
1,908 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
9. Re: Which Marriott...Union Square/Fisherman's Wharf?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 December 2010, 07:18