We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a little advice with restaurants.

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
807 posts
273 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for a little advice with restaurants.

Hello. My girlfriend and I will be in Cali for 2 weeks. We will be in San Francisco for 4 days. We will be staying at the Parc 55 near Union Square. Since we are from the east coast, we would like to try somethings that we can't find at home. I also would rather stay away from restaurants that cater to tourists, and would rather not spend more than $100 per meal(less would be nice). I have made a reservation at Kokkomi, but am looking for some other suggestions. If we need to take some public transportation that is fine. Does anyone have any other suggestions for San Fran restaurants. We eat pretty much anything. Also, if anyone has any good restaurant recs for Mendocino, Pacific Grove, or Paso Robles that would be great. Thanks in advance.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,887 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Looking for a little advice with restaurants.

One other suggestion for hip and happening with good food (and a bit loud): Nopa. http://www.nopasf.com

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
807 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Looking for a little advice with restaurants.

Thanks Bella...I would rather avoid a business-like atmosphere. Will check out your suggestions. Your happy hour suggestion sounds great.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,994 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Looking for a little advice with restaurants.

I agree with a couple of the previous posters to look at some quintessential San Francisco places like Tadich Grill and Sam's Grill (Belden Place). I also think the Slanted Door is pretty unique.

I like Scoma's, a definite 'touristy' place, but I still think it has some of the best cioppino in the City.

Kokkari is great, I love their saghanaki and fried smelt (yes, fried smelt), the lamb shank is to die for and so is the lamb organ meats souvlaki.

In Pacific Grove look at First Awakenings for breakfast and then maybe Red House Cafe and Passion Fish.

In Paso Robles, if you have never had Basque food, I'd try the 10th St Basque Cafe. If that doesn't look appealing, Artisan is probably the best around and Il Cortile does nice Italian.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
6,047 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Looking for a little advice with restaurants.

I knew someone would bring up "Cali" 'cause I was biting my tongue. It's like planning a trip to Miami and saying that you're going to visit "Flo". And let's face it, Southern California isn't really known for it's demure taste standards.

15. Re: Looking for a little advice with restaurants.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 December 2010, 06:17