We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Fran to LA to Las Vegas - need some help please!!

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
2 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
San Fran to LA to Las Vegas - need some help please!!

Hi,

Both my wife and I are planning a special 30th birthday trip out to the US in September.

We are planning the following and would really appreicate some advice from people with some experience or locals!

1. Arrive to San Fran - Stay 4 night near Knob Hill

2. Drive to Monterey - Stay 1 night

3. Continue drive to LA - stay 4 nights

4. Drive to Las vegas - stay 4 nights

Then fly home! Does this route sound feasible in the time to see enough of the areas...

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Veejnas

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
6,111 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Fran to LA to Las Vegas - need some help please!!

Whether you spend two nights or three nights or four nights in Las Vegas depends on your personal tastes for that kind of thing. If you want to do a lot of shopping and eating and gambling, then by all means spend four nights in Vegas.

Personally, I'd cut off a night or two from Las Vegas and enjoy my drive down the coast from SF to L.A. a little more. A logical stop after Monterey would be Cambria. Remember, you'll be driving slowly along the Big Sur area. If two-lane twisting highways above towering cliffs over the ocean make you drive even more slowly, remember to use the turnouts periodically to let the faster drivers pass. It's the perfect time to take pictures.

If you want more coastline, then I'd spend some more time in Santa Barbara, or go wine-tasting in "Sideways" country, perhaps. If that's too much countryside and coastal idyll, then head on over to L.A. sooner and you can do plenty of shopping there, as well.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Fran to LA to Las Vegas - need some help please!!

Hi and welcome to the forum.

If you only want to stay 1 night between SF and LA I'd pick Cambria (about half way)but I also would recommend to take longer between SF and LA and spend at least 2 nights. With 4 nights Las Vegas I would try to visit Grand Canyon NP and stay for 1 night. Las Vegas-GCNP south rim is a 5 hours drive one way. That leaves 3 nights for Las Vegas. Reservations are needed to stay at the rim www.grandcanyonlodges.com Another option is to drive straight from LA to GC (app. 8-9 hours) and go Las Vegas after that.

Tet

Malta
Level Contributor
458 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Fran to LA to Las Vegas - need some help please!!

During my planning of a similar holiday I discovered Moonstone Beach Drive at Cumbria, paralell to Hwy 1 but closer to the ocean. Ther are a lot of affordable accomodation. I choosed Little Sur Inn and booked directly with the hotel.

Enjoy your planning!

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
2 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Fran to LA to Las Vegas - need some help please!!

Thats brilliant- appreicate you help.

Any idea where the best place to hire a car from San Fran to drop off in Vegas?

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Fran to LA to Las Vegas - need some help please!!

Often no drop off charges between SF and LV if you rent a car from Europe. Maybe try this www.carhire3000.com but there are more companies and there are several pick up locations in SF. Also maybe check with a local travelagency for fly drives. Often good deals.

Tet

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
719 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Fran to LA to Las Vegas - need some help please!!

Just an idea:

We did SF, Yosemite, LV, GC, Anaheim, LA, via St. Barbara to Cambria, Carmel, Cupertino (visiting relatives).

It's all depend on what you like during travelling.

We hired a car through CarHire3000.com, no hassle at all and the rate was 30% lower than Hertz, but some got problems with them.

Edited: 10 July 2010, 01:28
7. Re: San Fran to LA to Las Vegas - need some help please!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 January 2011, 05:18