We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transporation questions-muni, bart etc?

Atlanta GA
Level Contributor
207 posts
Save Topic
Transporation questions-muni, bart etc?

In the planing stages for up coming trip-tentative November. I read the threads going back to June & went to the websites mentioned in the treads. Some of the terms in the threads seem to interchange. i.e. go card, clipper, SF pass, city pass. CG, AC, etc. My 19 yr old son and I plan to be there for 6 days. Is the muni passport the best option for us? Do I understand this pass gives us access to cable car, bus, overhead, hoho etc? That said, what's type of transit system is a BART? I'm guessing the transpo system is as easy to use/understand just like the Tube in London & the Metro in Paris. Input and suggestions welcome! Thanks.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
15,187 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transporation questions-muni, bart etc?

The Muni Visitor Passport is for the City transit system. Muni stands for Municipal Railway, but it includes all City public transit: cable cars, historic streetcars, Muni Metro underground, and diesel or electric buses.

It does not include BART, which is a regional transit system connecting San Francisco with several suburban counties. BART is not the same as Muni Metro. For most exploring within the City, you will not need BART, although you can take it from and to the airport if your hotel is near a BART station. The Passport also does not include any other regional transit system, like Golden Gate Transit, Cal Train, or ferries on the Bay.

If you mean the private tour vans, hoho's are entirely separate and you pay them directly. However, the Muni Visitor Passport operates on the same general idea as a hoho; you pay once and then have unlimited use for the term of the ticket.

--
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transporation questions-muni, bart etc?

1. For the short-term visitor, the only transit pass that's a viable option is the Muni Visitor's Passport, which comes in one, three, and seven day flavors. Additional information regarding the Muni Passport can be found at http://www.sfmta.com/cms/mfares/passports.htm . The Clipper (formerly TransLink) card and FastPass are mainly use to residents and long-term visitors.

2. Muni Visitor Passports are good on all forms of Muni vehicles including cable cars, historic and modern streetcars, overhead-powered electric (trolley) buses, and conventional buses. NOT included in this list are the so-called "hop on hop off" (what I believe you're calling "hoho") buses which circle between popular tourist destinations. The hop on hop off buses, which are often double decker, are operated by one of several commercial tour operators, with the fee payable to the tour operator and no exchange privileges between operator's lines.

3. The San Francisco City Pass is a commercial offering which offers admission to several museums and other attractions some visitors find interesting, for a single flat rate. Also included in the package is a seven day Muni Passport, the same passport discussed in #1, above.

4. BART is the San Francisco Bay Area Rapid Transit system, a regional light rail system which connects a number of cities from San Francisco International Airport up north to San Francisco, and then under the Bay to Oakland and cities both North, South and East. BART has several stops within San Francisco, but travels on one single corridor through the City making it useful as transportation to other points around the Bay, but of limited value within the City itself. Riding on BART is not included in the price of the Muni Visitor Passports, they use a separate, distance-based ticketing and fare structure.

Frisco Roadrunner was typing faster I see.....

Edited: 10 July 2010, 04:15
San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
15,187 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transporation questions-muni, bart etc?

* "Frisco Roadrunner was typing faster I see....." *

Not so. Your bus was behind schedule and mine was on time. :^D

--
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transporation questions-muni, bart etc?

As a truly San Francisco chorus of "f**king Muni" rings out.....

Atlanta GA
Level Contributor
207 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Transporation questions-muni, bart etc?

So buy either 2 3 day Muni visitors Passport or 1 7 day and forfeit the 1 day (we are there are 6 days) not sure which is more economical. Then when we arrive at SFO, buy a BART to get from the airport to hotel then from hotel to airport heading home? Is there a special place to purchase the BART? Thought I saw something in about location for this. Sorry on the ho ho-yes tis' the hop on hop off. Just got used to calling them the hoho which is what they are affectionately called in London. Thanks for your help. Appreciate it!

--
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transporation questions-muni, bart etc?

There's this funny thing called math which tells us that 2x$20>>$26 (except for large values of 26....), thereby signaling that buying a seven day Muni Visitor Passport is more economical. Unfortunately the interest in math seems to be waning these days.

I've seen that between the replacement of its aging existing fleet and the possible expansion of the system to San Jose, BART needs roughly 1,000 new trains at an estimated cost of $3.2 Billion, or, using that math thing, $3,200,000 per train. BART fare from SFO to downtown San Francisco is $8.10 in each direction, so I'd suggest buying a BART ticket is considerably more cost effective than buying an entire BART, although there's something to be said for the cold hard steel of a full BART train compared to the relatively flimsy plasticized paper BART ticket (although the magnetic stripe does add a certain 70's panache).

Vending machines selling BART tickets are located at the entrances to each BART station; they'll accept both cash and (generally but not always) credit or debit cards. You can save yourself a bit of time by purchasing a ticket with enough value (2 x $8.10 = $16.20 for SFO-downtown SF, dang that math thing again.....) for both you trip into the City and return to the airport. When you exit the station in downtown SF the gate will return your ticket with $8.10 subtracted; on your return trip to the airport the gate will keep the ticket which has no further value.

Edited: 10 July 2010, 06:41
Baton Rouge
Destination Expert
for Baton Rouge
Level Contributor
1,193 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transporation questions-muni, bart etc?

Truepeach,

Have you looked into buying City Pass for SF? It includes admission to many of the museums that we are interested in along with a 7 day Muni Pass. You just purchase them at the first museum and you usually get to go to the front of the line. We bought them in NYC and really got our money's worth.

One tip that I've learned from this forum concerning City Pass is if you're interested in touring Alcatraz, purchase City Pass from them and they will exchange the one hour boat tour for their Alcatraz tour. On the City Pass website, a phone number is provided to this official Alcatraz tour company to place your order.

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
306 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transporation questions-muni, bart etc?

If we were to go to Yoshi's in Oakland, would BART be the best way to get there? It looks like the stop requires a taxi or bus on the Oakland stop. Is it safe to ride back to Union Square after 10:30 PM? We do have a vehicle, but just wondering if parking, etc. would be more expensive and more hassle than taking the BART.

Is there a ferry that goes from SF to Oakland and return (to Oakland @ 5 ish from Oakland @ 10:30 ish).

Atlanta GA
Level Contributor
207 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Transporation questions-muni, bart etc?

Hey catfiend; Good to know where to by BART. Price isn't as bad I thought it would be. Seems cheaper too. We'lll buy em' when we arrive to make sure we don't get a wild hair and scoot back to London instead. Besides we gotta return home, it's that silly thing about working & earning a living. We like to eat & keep a roof over our heads. What do you think about the city pass mentioned by ILoveLouisiana? Is it cheaper to include the museum(s)in the city pass? I ask because when we were in London & Paris for that matter, it was cheaper to by transpo (tube or metro) then buy seperate tickets for the Louve seperate. Whatchathink? P.S. Who knew, the art from Musee d'Osay in Paris had the art in--you guessed it--San Fran. Museum was undergoing renovations when we were there in May. Tks.

Atlanta GA
Level Contributor
207 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Transporation questions-muni, bart etc?

Howdy, see post just sent to Catfiend bout combining city pass with museum etc. Cheaper or buy seperate? Regards.