We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a car out of SFO for 3 days!!!!!

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
265 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Renting a car out of SFO for 3 days!!!!!

Hi Everyone!!!!

Using the TA has been Great over the years and now we are

planning a trip to San Fran in September. The plan is to rent a car for 3 days and head for the Carmel area. Then come back and spend another 6 days in SF and maybe rent a car for a day and go North. We always go through the car rental places directly and rent for a week at least to get a better rate. However this time we will only need it for a short period of time. We are finding it very expensive dealing directly with the rental companies out of SFO airport. We have never used any of the online discount websites but were told they have better rates. Howewver we have been told you have to be very careful dealing with them because sometimes it sounds to be good to be true and you end up in a bad situation. Can anyone give us some suggestions as to their experience using companies like Hotwire, Travelvelocity, etc.

Thanks Lary1047

Nashville
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting a car out of SFO for 3 days!!!!!

I have been keeping an eye on SFO area car rates due to a trip we are planning. I found that there is a Hertz facility in South San Francisco. It is only a few miles from the airport and the AAA rates have been about 1/3 lower than renting thru the airport. While you would have a little inconvenience and a taxi fare, it might still be a significant savings.

You can also find much cheaper rates in downtown San Francisco. If you are staying downtown, you could take BART or a taxi to a downtown rental facility near your hotel on your arrival. When you return to the city, you will be right at your hotel to turn in your car and check in to your hotel..

Have a great trip.

NoCal
Level Contributor
1,879 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting a car out of SFO for 3 days!!!!!

depending on how much luggage you want to lug around, San Bruno BART has a Avis location within maybe 200 steps or you can go to Colma BART and call Hertz local edition to pick you up. This off site locations normally are open 7am to 6pm weekdays and limited hours Sat, some of them don't open on Sunday. The rate will probably be half of the airport rate.

Rochester, MN
Level Contributor
133 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting a car out of SFO for 3 days!!!!!

I rented though budget and found that the off airport locations were a lot cheaper. We picked ours up at Fishermans wharf. Maybe someone could take a shuttle down there for 15.00 and get the car then head back to the airport to pick the rest up?

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
9,909 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting a car out of SFO for 3 days!!!!!

There's also an Enterprise car rental location just off the airport grounds. Just stay away from Fox and Payless. I've also had problems with Dollar, Budget and Thrifty, so I won't rent with them, although I'm sure they have locations near the airport, too.

www.enterprise.com/car_rental/deeplinkmap.do…

5. Re: Renting a car out of SFO for 3 days!!!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2011, 06:18