We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hop on and off bus tours

Stafford, United...
Level Contributor
76 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
hop on and off bus tours

Hi can anyone tell me of a good bus tour company that does hop on and off. We used one in New York last year and I found it very economical way of getting around as our tickets were for 3 days so thinking of doing it again in SF , have noticed though that pick up are only every 30 mins as opposed to every couple of minutes as they were in NY. Is it easier to get around on the trolleys etc??

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,399 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hop on and off bus tours

The hop-on hop-off is offered through San Francisco City Sightseeing, Deluxe Tours and Open Top Sightseeing, yet not all of them are given positive reviews

For just getting around the city, SF MUNI is convenient and runs very often. Usually a 3-day muni visitor passport is worth the cost because you don't have to fumble for exact change every time. See the "transit" section of www.sfmta.com for details and maps.

Read reviews here for Open Top Sightseeing: tripadvisor.in/ShowUserReviews-g60713-d11576…

City Sightseeing does a little better, but still read the 1-dot reviews: tripadvisor.in/ShowUserReviews-g60713-d15447… and I found that www.sanfrancisco.com uses City Sightseeing with brief tour descriptions on the site here: sanfrancisco.com/attractions/bus-tours.html (towards the bottom of page is Hop On Hop Off)

Deluxe Tours is not fairing much better on reviews: tripadvisor.in/ShowUserReviews-g60713-d14385…

Just FYI - This local tour company seems to have the most consistent positive reviews but it is not hop on and hop off: tripadvisor.in/Attraction_Review-g60713-d619…

Stafford, United...
Level Contributor
76 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hop on and off bus tours

Thanks

will do a bit more reseach on them and will check sites you gave to me

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hop on and off bus tours

Also check goldstar for possible discounts on hohos. Www.goldstar.com

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,488 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hop on and off bus tours

I'm not a huge fan of these tours in San Francisco.

You are right __they only come every 30 minutes and only do certain sections so it can take a lot of time to see much.

If it's to see all the main sights I think it's much better to do a City Tour (plenty to choose from ) of between 4 to 5 hours and then use the excellent public transport system to get around and follow up on the locations that you like.

As Sal mentioned you can get discounts on Goldstar and also this site

http://guideyou.com/featured.php

Edited: 14 July 2010, 06:03
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hop on and off bus tours

I really like the HOHO concept.

It's too bad the various HOHO's in the city don't "associate" somehow and allow a ticket purchased on one to be good on all (perhaps at a big higher price). Then it's likely the frequency of a buses would be greater.

I volunteer at the SF symphony store some days and I see the various buses going by regularly. The poor store manager would love for their to be a Civic Center stop so people could come in and browse!

6. Re: hop on and off bus tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2011, 06:18