We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grave stone curbs

Level Contributor
217 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Grave stone curbs

Sometime ago I was on a web site that talked about a street somewhere in San Francisco that was paved with or had curb stones made from old grave stones. The site had pictures but I cant find that site. Many searches later I am still looking.

So I came to the experts.

Anone know anything about this ?

I am planing to be in San Francisco sometime in Sept. and would like to visit this place.

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
7,451 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grave stone curbs

Sinbad, I'm sure someone will have more info for you, but this is what I found using the word "headstone" and "San Francisco" in Google:

sanfranciscocemeteries.com/buena_vista_a.html

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,383 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grave stone curbs

I'm sure sfimporter mentioned the paths in Buena Vista Park previously.

He may have more info on that.

I don't know of any other.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grave stone curbs

There are also some areas along Crissy Field where the rip rap (shoreline armorment) is old gravestones. However, after being washed by tides for so many years, it is not immediately evident.

Level Contributor
217 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grave stone curbs

Thanks to everyone for the info. The whole cemetery - San Francisco thing is quite interesting. Also so off the path. Looking forward to visiting these spots. Buena Vista Park looks to easy to get to, off the F line too.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
5,792 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grave stone curbs

Buena Vista Park is paved with headstones from graveyards.

If you find yourself taking a stroll through Buena Vista Park (just about in the middle of the Castro and Haight-Ashbury districts, pay attention to the "gutters" on the paved paths.

At some point in the 1890s it was decided to move the cemeteries to Colma (the Bay Area city notorious for having more dead residents than living). While most of the bodies were said to have made it to their new resting place, their headstones didn't.

The headstones in Buena Vista Park are thought to be from the old "Lone Mountain Cemetery".

Here's an example of one that was mistakenly placed with the name and date showing:

sanfranciscocemeteries.com/images/bv7lg.jpg

Here's a pic I took last winter after a large storm washed the gutters clean.

http://www.ceramicsofeurope.com/bvp.jpg

Buena Vista Park is pretty easy to get to. If you don't want to walk up the hills, take the subway or F-line to the Church Street station and grab the #37 bus up the hill. It will take you up and up until you get to the park.

It's also very close to the Castro and the Haight if you want to combine it with other things to do.

6. Re: Grave stone curbs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 January 2011, 06:27