We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alcatraz--Audio or Self-guided?

Washington, DC Area
Level Contributor
295 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Alcatraz--Audio or Self-guided?

Hi,

I know the Alcatraz experience comes with the audio tour if you want. I hear it's great. But my problem is that audio tours bore me (I prefer a/v or films and I'm easily distracted) and also my traveling buddy may have little patience for audio tours as well. So if we do not take the audio tour, will we be missing out on most of the Alcatraz experience? What is the self-guided experience like w/no audio? Neither of us have ever been there before, by the way.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Manchester UK
Level Contributor
83 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alcatraz--Audio or Self-guided?

I think the audio tour makes the visit to Alcatraz. When we were there almost everyone had the audio headsets. The tour not only describes key aspects of the self-guided tour in detail, you also hear 'atmospheric' background noises which brings it all to life.

The a/v at the start of the tour is not that good, my advice is go for the audio tour.

illinois
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Alcatraz--Audio or Self-guided?

i did the audio tour and enjoyed it completly. it is done at a very lesuirly pace and you will get so much more out of the experience.

Orlando
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alcatraz--Audio or Self-guided?

The audio tour is not boring...it is really great....it doesnt go on and on. There is so much interesting stuff that all of it is good. Without the audio tour is is really kind of boring.

Hortonville...
Level Contributor
115 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alcatraz--Audio or Self-guided?

Definately get the audio tour - you learn a lot about the different areas - AND you're able to stop and start the program on your own, so if you want to hang out in a certain area for a bit, then continue on, you can do so without missing anything on the audio.

Washington, DC Area
Level Contributor
295 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alcatraz--Audio or Self-guided?

thanks everyone! so i am heeding your words of wisdom..taking the audio with Alcatraz. I booked on blueandgoldfleet.com for the NIGHT ALCATRAZ TOUR. Is that a good one? I figure seeing the place at night would be even better. How long does it take to go from the Pier to the Island?

Also if I did some shopping around the Wharf am I allowed to bring my bags or is it best that I leave them at the hotel if possible?

California
Level Contributor
241 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Alcatraz--Audio or Self-guided?

Dont bring shopping bags, carry only whay you need. when you get off the boat it is a steep hike almost straight up. The boat ride is less than 15 minutes and dress very warmly, it is cold inside and out on that island.

CA
Level Contributor
158 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Alcatraz--Audio or Self-guided?

I agree, do the audio guide. It's imformative & has great sound effects.

Yes dress warm it's a long breathless hike uphill. I found out afterwards that they do offer a small tram ride for those people that may need it.