We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental

Western Australia
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Topic
Car rental

Hi Can anyone suggest a car rental company for a long term rental. We want to hire a medium size sedan or small SUV for about 3 weeks travel around the US. We want to get the best deal without all the hassle of 'small print'. Can anyone advise?

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
65,476 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental

Arrange the rental in advance from home; do NOT walk up to a rental counter and expect a good deal.

Other Aussie visitors have recommended TravelJigsaw or another company local to you (FlightCentre was mentioned by someone.) They'll include all the insurance you need and set everything up with one of our local car rental companies.

Then when you pick up the car, do not pay for anything else. You'll be totally set!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental

I would suggest you book asap. Looking for a SUV for 3 weeks only one week in advance in mid-summer may cause some difficulty.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
43 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental

try enterprise or avis or dollar rental. sometimes you can find good deals online.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
27 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental

I rented my car for 3 weeks from Alamo for $300 which I think is a great deal. I did Priceline.com's name your own price. You have to pay in full at time of reservation but it saved me a ton of money.

United States
Level Contributor
2,141 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental

Best price for an Australian is with Alamo.com which is a reputable company, price is approx $850 aud but includes all insurances and fees and taxes. Make certain that you have booked a hotel that includes parking, San Fran hotels have pretty hefty parking fees for the most part.

Western Australia
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental

HI Thanks for your post.

Can you tell me which Alamo you got this quote from as I have looked at several Alamo in SFO and I get anything from $800 - $3000???

7. Re: Car rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2011, 06:16
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor