We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay and what to do in San Francisco

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
where to stay and what to do in San Francisco

Hi

I will be in San Francisco for the first time this September.

Could you recommend a good bed and breakfast or motel to stay that is new and clean? Hopefully I don't have to spend above $150 a night. I would like to stay in a safe area, that allows me to shop and sight-see.

Since I am in San Francisco for 6 days I would like to your advice on what is a MUST do. I thought I could spend an overnight in a nearby factory outlet, go to a winery, and of course spend time enjoying SFO as a city and see how locals live, eat, and shop. I do not drive and will be relying on public transport.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,289 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay and what to do in San Francisco

There are many places in San Francisco that would fill your requirements, as long as you leave out the "new" portion of your request. Try the Chancellor Hotel, for example, or use the very convenient link on the left side of the page that says "San Francisco Hotels" to read thousands of real-life traveller reviews.

I don't know what it is about factory outlets, but the nearest ones to San Francisco are extremely hard to reach using public transportation. Please search the existing discussions to see what others have said about better shopping options within the city.

Here's a great list of recommendations for what to do in the city, courtesy Stu Dudley:

http://tinyurl.com/yahngrj

Have a great time!

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
345 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stay and what to do in San Francisco

Hi thegaltraveler,

We were in SF for 7 nights, we stayed in the Sheraton at Fisherman's wharf as we got a very good rate on expedia.ie. There is numerous restaurants here also and names do escape me.

A major must that has to be done is Alcatraz,I would advise that you book your ticket in advance for Alcatraz, take the city tour buses around the city and also take the tour over the golden gate bridge! As we stayed in Wharf area we were close to all the pick up points for these tours as well as the trams into the city. I am sure someone else can advise you of other hotels that are also close to these stops also.

The city tour was great as you could hop on and off.

There is also great shopping to be done, there is westfield shopping centre as well as Macy's and other department stores. I would recommend The Cheesecake Factory (top floor of macy's) for something to eat and if you have room a slice of cheescake, food is top notch IMO, and a visit to Ghiradelli's for the ice cream and chocolate of course!

Loved San Fran, found it very safe and can't wait to go back!! Must go and do the lotto!!!

Hope this is some help to you, have a great time when you get there!

3. Re: where to stay and what to do in San Francisco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2011, 08:17