We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gocar versus Nob Hill...who wins?

texas
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Gocar versus Nob Hill...who wins?

I am going to get a gocar for full day and am staying at Fairmont Nob Hill. Was wondering if the car can make it up there. I want to use it when shopping to bring back stuff to hotel room as needed.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,408 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gocar versus Nob Hill...who wins?

go cars work fine on the hills, but I recommend going down hills carefully and taking turns carefully, not sharply. I saw people recklessly speeding around the corner in the financial district one Saturday and the corner should have been taken much slower; the car flipped over and if they were not wearing a helmet, they would have been in trouble.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
6,097 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gocar versus Nob Hill...who wins?

I think what you're looking for is called a "cab". I can't imagine that you'll be able to fit much of anything in a GoCar, especially considering that they are completely open. I'm thinking any price you would pay to park it would cover the price of a cab to the Fairmont.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
9,477 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gocar versus Nob Hill...who wins?

Buy a muni passport and use a cable car. There's no way I would recommend a Gocar for utilitarian purposes. They're like the little cars that 8-year-olds drive at an amusement park, and I wouldn't know where you'd even park one while you shopped. Someone could just come along, pick it up with their hands, and carry it away.

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
6,111 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gocar versus Nob Hill...who wins?

I really, really, really do not recommend the Go Cars. Those things are way too exposed and way too low to the ground. I've seen them in the Financial District and worried about what the heck they were doing. I just saw one last night during rush hour South of Market when I was making a beeline to get between them ahead of me and an SUV just barely behind me and I honestly worried they would do something stupid like slow down suddenly look at something and I'd plow into their behind.

For a shopping trip, take a cab. Tip: Shop at Nordstrom and they will drive you up to Nob Hill for free (well, tip the driver -- he works for the concierge desk on the first level next to shoes) with your purchases. At least, they used to, before the 2008 crash. They may not be able to afford that luxury now, but inquire at concierge.

London, UK
Level Contributor
46 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gocar versus Nob Hill...who wins?

While on the subject of GoCars - what is you opinion on a 6ft 9 man driving one - do you think he would fit?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
973 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gocar versus Nob Hill...who wins?

A jockey and a wafer thin super model might make it up Nob Hill in a go car. Most humans probably not.

I saw two guys taking turns going up a hill (not even as steep as nob hill). One would drive 50 feet, the other would jog alongside... then they switched... pretty funny.

Oh, and 6'9"... does he like the taste of his knees?

Edited: 23 July 2010, 21:22
7. Re: Gocar versus Nob Hill...who wins?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2011, 06:23