We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alcatraz sold out next week. Any ideas?

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
The Sea
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
Save Topic
Alcatraz sold out next week. Any ideas?

Well, I told them and told them to get their tickets in advance but they just didn't believe me. My friends went online last night to purchase tickets for Monday, August 2nd, the only day available in their schedule for the Alcatraz tour, and of course weren't able to find availability on the official website. They checked other ticket consolidators who were also sold out. They called the concierge at the Fairmont where they're staying but weren't able to procure tickets there either.

Would it be worth a try for them to go directly to the Alcatraz Cruise pier and try to buy tickets there or to remain 'stand by'? Is there last minute availability at times? Thanks in advance.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alcatraz sold out next week. Any ideas?

See reply #26 on this thread. If they really, really want to go, I'd suggest getting to the ticket window at 7AM. And everyone who wants to go needs to be there. And no guarantee. Being a Monday they might have a bit more chance.

--------------------------------------

Edited: Oops, forgot the link: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60713-i30-k375319…

Edited: 28 July 2010, 15:36
The Sea
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Alcatraz sold out next week. Any ideas?

Thank-you, RamblinSal. That's exactly the information I needed. Sounds pretty grim though, doesn't it?

Is it illegal to buy tickets from a scalper in S.F.? ;)

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
167 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alcatraz sold out next week. Any ideas?

It all depends on who the seller is, and what tour you are looking for (translation: if you are willing to pay more, you can get it - not a scalper, just another tour added)

This company has tix for Aug 2 if you buy a combo with a double-decker tour

city-sightseeing.us/allloops_alcatraz.html

The Sea
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Alcatraz sold out next week. Any ideas?

Thanks so much! I'll forward this information to them and they can decide if they want to do the double decker tour or not.

Fort Worth, TX
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alcatraz sold out next week. Any ideas?

My husband and I wanted to go on Mon Aug 2 as well and couldn't find tix and then got a tip from another thread on here about going to UrbanSafari.com and booking with them - it's a whole city tour, but they DO have alcatraz for MONDAY! (At least they did when I called 10 minutes ago) - I called instead of booked online 'cuz I wanted to make sure we'd get to Alcatraz - Daniel is very humorous and jovial and I found easy to talk to - call and ask him - tell him Casey (& Tim) referred you!

Good luck - hope to meet you on Monday!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,289 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alcatraz sold out next week. Any ideas?

For what it's worth, I've never been to Alcatraz, and I've lived here since 1984. There's plenty in SF to keep you busy besides visiting an abandoned prison in the middle of the bay. :)

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
167 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alcatraz sold out next week. Any ideas?

Wellvis, you must go, take a photo of the SF skyline, look at the last breakfast menu - I bet you don't have that many items on your menu :) and ask somebody to take your photo in a jail cell - just think of sending a photo to your friends, and ask them to bail you out to see who your true friends are :)

Seriously, it's a piece of history, worth visiting and preserving.

Jungle in SF
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Alcatraz sold out next week. Any ideas?

Thank you Casey and Tim

9. Re: Alcatraz sold out next week. Any ideas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2011, 06:16