We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to pack

PA
Level Contributor
25 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
What to pack

We are arriving next sunday for the first time and we are very confused on what kind of clothes to pack. please help

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to pack

If SF is your only destination forget the shorts, short sleeves and sandals.

I was over at Alcatraz today and wore a turtlenck, fleece vest and jacket (in additional to gloves which I wore about 50% of the time). I don't believe the sun came out anywhere in town today.

But definitely plan on layers. You'll walk a lot and being able to peel things off is a plus.

SF is never "hot" in summer but this has been quite a cool summer.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
322 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to pack

I was just there two weeks ago and never unpacked my shorts. Layer t-shirt, fleece, pants/ jeans. I did wear both open toe and closed toe shoes but no socks. *****My favorite thing to take on trips is a scarf and I can't count the number of times I used it on this trip! (Warning ...outside the city it can still get hot. One day the high in the city was 74 but a friend who drove in said it was 105 by her home.)

Baton Rouge
Destination Expert
for Baton Rouge
Level Contributor
1,192 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to pack

Well, let me just say that for two days last week I wore wool long underwear! Yes, I'm from the Deep South and we froze at times. I would bring lots of things that can be layered since it may warm up at times if clear. Remember that you still have the wind off the bay which can be very chilling even if the temp. is normal. As Dylan, our first day city tour guide quoted Mark Twain, "The coldest winter I ever saw was the summer I spent in San Francisco." It's delightful but proceed accordingly!!

New York State
Level Contributor
35 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to pack

We were there last week and confirm the previous posts - it was chilly - layers are best!

melbourne,aus
Level Contributor
981 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to pack

Boy....if its chilly in Summer, whats it like in September....I was hoping to leave Melbournes winter clothes behind....Maybe not!!!!!!!!!!!

Grover Beach...
Destination Expert
for Pismo Beach, Cambria, Big Sur
Level Contributor
20,491 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to pack

Actually, September and October are the warmer months in SF, although never a guarantee.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,705 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to pack

We have a weather pattern along the CA coast called the inversion layer - the hotter it is inland, the more the fog comes in on the coast. Spring and fall are the least foggy.

I live about 50 miles from SF and we've been in shorts and tanks, but along the coast it is cool. Don't think arctic temps or anything - just temps in the 50s and 60s with some fog and wind.

--
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to pack

ILoveLouisana writes>>....As Dylan, our first day city tour guide quoted Mark Twain, "The coldest winter I ever saw was the summer I spent in San Francisco." It's delightful but proceed accordingly!!<<

Ouch, the guide should be ashamed of himself. There's no evidence that Samuel Clemens/Mark Twain ever wrote the line. See http://www.snopes.com/quotes/twain.asp , www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi… , or www.pbs.org/marktwain/scrapbook/04_trouble/ .

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
168 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to pack

Dress in layers as the weather changes during the day, and also it depends on where you are. While it's sunny and pleasant in downtown, it will be freezing windy on the bridge.

10. Re: What to pack

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 January 2011, 07:16