We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oxygen needed for San Francisco

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Oxygen needed for San Francisco

My mother needs oxygen for our 2 to 3 night visit to San Francisco. Do I ask the hotel to recommend a company? This is what my doctor's nurse and her current oxygen provider said. I'm confused, as my mother's friends have had oxygen cylinders and portable concentraters delivered to the room from their current oxygen provider.

Thanks

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oxygen needed for San Francisco

My mother too is on oxygen 24/7 -- and so I see her and not the other way around!

I'm surprised that her doctor and oxyen provider aren't more help. Will she need oxygen on the plane? That does requires some preplanning. However, both my mother's doctor and oxygen provider are very responsive.

I would push on her doc and oxygen provider. They are her health care providers. Why in the world should a hotel be responsible for providing this and why would you trust a hotel to do it properly? Maybe they have a good reason (I haven't had to cross state lines with it) but make THEM explain it to YOU.

After 4 years of this, I've found that the squeaky wheel gets the grease. In today's health care market, no one gets anything without throwing a little weight into it.

Good luck and best wishes.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
14,997 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oxygen needed for San Francisco

1. Contact your mother's current provider and ask if they have a branch in SF.

2. If not, contact the hotel concierge and ask who past guests have used. (I've heard of ITC (800-661-4907) and Apria (415-362-1791).)

3. Have your mother's doctor fax to the SF provider a prescription for EXACTLY what she needs -- each piece of equipment. In other words, oxygen tank, breathing tube, nebulizer (if needed), etc.

4. Call the SF provider and confirm they received the fax and that they have all the parts. Be sure to ask if there is anything she might need that was NOT requested, or that they don't have. Confirm time/date of delivery to the hotel and where they deliver (concierge. front desk, loading dock, etc.) Bring the contact info for the provider in case you need to advise them of any schedule changes. Oh, and schedule delivery to the hotel for before your arrival, in case it's late.

5. Call the hotel and advise them to expect the delivery and give them your contact info.

Lots of folks travel like this, it just takes some coordination (and double-checking).

By the way, have a backup plan if she needs oxygen before you get to the hotel (if the flights are delayed, etc.)

Edited: 12 August 2010, 06:19
San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
14,997 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oxygen needed for San Francisco

Sal,

As you know, oxygen is basically a presciption that needs to be filled. Her doctor can only order the medicine, it's up to the patient to decide where they want it filled. Hotels deal with this all the time and have providers that their guests have used in the past.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Oxygen needed for San Francisco

Thanks so much! We are driving. The current oxygen provider is very local? After talking to them a couple of times, they did mention that they had a portable oxygen concentrater for $150 a week.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Oxygen needed for San Francisco

Thanks so much. My mother's oxygen provider is only local. They said that they didn't know companies in San Francisco and that it was my trip. The last time I talked to them they did state that they had a portable oxygen concenter for rent for $150 a week.

My friend is going to Greece and Turkey for a month with oxygen arranged by the cruise and travel agency.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Oxygen needed for San Francisco

Thanks so much. My mother's oxygen provider is only local. They said that they didn't know companies in San Francisco and that it was my trip. The last time I talked to them they did state that they had a portable oxygen concenter for rent for $150 a week.

My friend is going to Greece and Turkey for a month with oxygen arranged by the cruise and travel agency

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oxygen needed for San Francisco

susan that is not 100% correct as you cannot just amble down to your local pharmacy and pick up your oxygen. These providers are very specialized and provide special services because of that. (Not to mention special qualifying tests that medicare requires over and above the doctor's prescription.)

I also expect a lot more of my mother's doctor than just writing a bleeping prescription. If something is wrong with the provider, I lean on him to fix the situation. Because it is *critical* that the oxygen be available at all times.

RBF ... how big is the concentrator she has? My mother's would fit in the back of our car ... could you just transport the one she has with you? If not, will her insurance pick up the cost of the one they are offering?

If it were me, I'd be a lot more comfortable just knowing we had ours with us than trying to go through another provider who I wasn't familiar with.

There are other options as well, such as liquid oxygen. It wasn't a need for us, but for someone a bit more mobile, it has its uses.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
14,997 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oxygen needed for San Francisco

>>I also expect a lot more of my mother's doctor than just writing a bleeping prescription. If something is wrong with the provider, I lean on him to fix the situation. <<

But the doctor can't provide the oxygen, and is unlikely to know a provider in a random other city. And nothing has yet gone wrong, so what do you expect to accomplish by "leaning" on the doctor?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
5,792 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Oxygen needed for San Francisco

If you're not bringing it with you, your mother's doctor should be able to set you up with a company that would provide this.

I know when my mother-in-law flew out to San Francisco from Virginia, her doctor's office set her up so that the equipment was shipped directly to our home and was waiting for her here when she arrived (she only takes oxygen at night).

When she was ready to go home, we simply packed it all back up and called FedEx to come pick it up to return it from wherever it came. It was all included in whatever price there was and her medical insurance covered it.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Oxygen needed for San Francisco

Thanks. Yes I would have to pay for the oxygen in San Francisco.