We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rented laptop and free wireless or Internet Cafe

Sydney, Australia
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Rented laptop and free wireless or Internet Cafe

I'm travelling to San Francisco for a week in late september after spending a week in lead up to friends wedding in Fort Lauderdale.

I'm travelling alone and would like to keep in touch with my Partner and Family in Australia and New Zealand via email and Skype video calls while I'm away.

I note that SF is a very wireless friendly place with plenty of free connections available and I am debating which is better:

A. Bringing a rented laptop with me

B. Renting a laptop at the FL and SF when I get there

C. making use of Internet cafes while I'm there

How prolific are internet cafes in SF and are what are the prices like. Grateful for your help.

Rosemary

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,400 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rented laptop and free wireless or Internet Cafe

there are more wifi places (free with purchase) than places that offer you use of a computer where you pay by the minute, but if you don't rent the computer to bring with you, the computer cafe I've used is Quetzal on Polk @ Bush St http://www.quetzal.org/aboutus.asp and the prices are very affordable/reasonable. You'll see signs in cafe windows mentioning WiFi access. I recommend renting a computer laptop to take with you, however some areas (The Mission and Western Addition neighborhoods) have had problems with people getting their laptop stolen. Just don't sit in a spot that makes you vulnerable (spots right next to the door or outdoors by yourself). Don't sit with your back to a door using your computer. Always stay with your computer no matter where you are using it. If you are just cautious and aware of your surroundings, you'll be fine.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
351 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rented laptop and free wireless or Internet Cafe

Where would you/can you hire a computer from?

I bought myself a notebook primarily for taking away on holiday/weekends away so that I still had internet access.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rented laptop and free wireless or Internet Cafe

I don't know how much laptops cost to rent but I bought a little netbook for travel (weighs about 2 pounds at most) for under $300 (and it has a webcam). And that was over a year ago, the prices have probably dropped since.

4. Re: Rented laptop and free wireless or Internet Cafe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 February 2011, 06:56