We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip advise

Singapore
Level Contributor
706 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
trip advise

Hi, below is something that I've come up with... travelling end Nov for about 2wks with kids (5 and 9yr old)... is this doable? I know things are still missing... any advise appreciated. we'll arr on 20th Nov.

Day 1 Arrive LA check-in. Walk around check out the area. Shopping?!

Day 2 Disneyland

Day 3 California Adventure Park

Day 4 Knotts berry farm

Day 5 Universal Studio

Day 6 Morning drive to palm springs, shopping outlet and tram ride. Stay 1 nite in Palm Springs

Day 7 Drive to Las Vegas – walk around and check out the area. Stay a nite in Las vegas

Day 8 Hoover dam / Grand canyon (depending on flight schedule, may fly out from LV to SF either on day 8 or 9

Day 9 Flight out from LV to SF

Day 10 SF - Lake tahoe/yosmite

Day 11 SF - ?

Alcatraz night tour

Day 12 SF – Fishermen’s wharf/Pier 39

Day 13 SF -?

Day 14 Flight back from SF to SG

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,170 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trip advise

On Day 11 you are going to do San Francisco, Yosemite, and Lake Tahoe?

I must be misunderstanding you. That is not possible.

Do you know the mileage between those places?

Singapore
Level Contributor
706 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trip advise

sorry for the misunderstnading... its either lake tahoe or yosmite, since I'll be base in SF.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
719 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trip advise

Where's ur hotel in LA? What sort of things u like to do while traveling? From ur rough itinerary, i can tell that u r "been there" kinda a traveler. It's not bad or something like that (i know Asian's travelers don't mind "been there" kinda holiday :p), but it's much2 better to explore more of one place, rather than just "been there" to many places.

As Puter mentioned, u r covering way too much ground for 11 days trip. U must be just driving through on most of the places.

For ur comparison, we did 18 days road trip (which was considered tight): SF (5days w/o a car)-Yosemite-LV-GC-Anaheim-LA-Cambria-Cupertino-SF. that was about 2k++ mile.

U need to re-plan ur itinerary.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
719 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: trip advise

even for 14 days trip.

In LV, u need minimum 3 days 2 nites, that's just to experience the basic of the city. :)

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: trip advise

"Day 2 Disneyland

Day 3 California Adventure Park

Day 4 Knotts berry farm

Day 5 Universal Studio"

I think your kids (and you) will be exhausted after day #2. Too many parks IMHO.

Fly directly from LV to Reno, about 1 hour drive to Lake Tahoe. Vs 4 hrs from SF.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: trip advise

I agree that you're trying to pack way too much in - especially with small children. The distances and traffic in LA alone will have you exhausted.

You're also going to be here during Thanksgiving week which means lots of people traveling and I would try to avoid being on the road right before and after the holiday. It might be a bit tough to fit in Lake Tahoe, but you might be able to take a tour - easier than trying to do that on your own.

Just a suggestion:

Day 1 (Nov 20) Arrive LAX, drive to Anaheim. Spend the next three/four nights at hotel near Disneyland - that way, you can go back to the hotel during the day if the kids are tired and go back for the fireworks at night.

Day 2 (Nov 21) Disneyland.

Day 3 (Nov 22) California Adventure Park, early night in.

Day 4 (Nov 23; skip Palm Springs) Drive to Las Vegas (can take 6 hours with traffic) Stay at hotel with pool for the kids.

Day 5 (Nov 24) Las Vegas (Hoover Dam?)

Day 6 (Nov 25 - this is Thanksgiving Day) Enjoy your hotel and sightsee in Las Vegas.

Day 7 (Nov 26) Turn in rental car (it will cost you more to drop off the rental car at a different location than where you picked it up) and fly to San Francisco.

Day 8 Sightsee in San Francisco - maybe Exploratorium or other fun thing for the kids.

Day 9 Take ferry to Sausalito for lunch or drive to Muir Woods.

Day 10 Another fun activity like Discovery Museum, Calif. Academy of Sciences, Alcatraz tour that night.

Day 11 Fisherman's Wharf, Chinatown.

Day 12 Sausalito if you haven't already done that.

Day 13 Last day to enjoy San Francisco!

Hope this helps a little. Enjoy your trip!

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
59,319 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: trip advise

all ~ wenray75 has an identical question on the California state forum as well. tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28926-i29-k387924…

sealonsf ~ foreign visitors who use a 3rd party car rental agency can bundle the insurance they need and the one-way drop fee into the car rental for an excellent price. One traveler reported that booking with Dollar directly involved a drop fee of several hundred dollars but by booking with USCarHire (or perhaps CarHire3000) the drop fee was waived completely. This traveler will get the exact same car but have a much lower price. Sweet deal!

Singapore
Level Contributor
706 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: trip advise

thanks all for your replies, especially to Pacific ;)

I'll relook into my itinery.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,170 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: trip advise

kenny,

This is not meant to be rude, but it may be helpful to you, when posting on this forum. On this forum many of us are not used to "text speak" and some of us are old, so it is difficult for us to read your messages.

U might notice that most of us spell out r words. U might try that. I for 1 would really appreciate it, because u have good things to say.

:~)

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
719 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: trip advise

Puter,

sure, no problemo. ^_^.

English isn't my first language, so... there'ld be some mistakes here n there. Thx for the input.