We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to pack? Going to SF 11/4 - 11/9

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Austin, TX
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What to pack? Going to SF 11/4 - 11/9

Hello -

My husband and I will be traveling to SF the first week in November. Given the extra bag charge, we are going to try and pack wisely. What type of things should we be sure to pack? Thanks!!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
265 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to pack? Going to SF 11/4 - 11/9

Your post takes planning ahead to a new level. Who packs in August for a trip in November??? Depends entirely on what you will do and what the weather will be -- and don't ask us know what the weather will be then......

Your packing list will be different if you want to go to Jazz clubs than if you want to hike in Muir woods. So pack for your activities and try to only bring 1 pair of shoes other than the ones you wear -- Ok, maybe two pairs.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,603 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to pack? Going to SF 11/4 - 11/9

In a nutshell. Everything goes with everything else....in layers. Put it on when you are chilly, take it off when you are too warm.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,131 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to pack? Going to SF 11/4 - 11/9

Exactly what puter said + to pack light color coordinate your clothes so you only need one extra pair of shoes. I travel to Europe with one 21 inch carryon + a tote bag.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,603 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to pack? Going to SF 11/4 - 11/9

And so do I.

My SIL comes to visit from Northern California for a three day visit with a huge suitcase AND a couple of satchels.

I never pried, but always want to see just WHAT she has in there. It is as if she can't decide what she might want to wear in those three days so she brings everything.

We are going to England and France for a little over three weeks next month. I am taking a pair of jeans, a pair of casual pants and a jacket and pants pair from the Travelsmith catalogue. I will wear this on the plane. The pants will serve as my 'dressy' pants. Then a tailored white blouse, (non-wrinkle, also from TravelSmith), a cotton knit turtle neck, long sleeve, and a knit turtle neck no-sleeve. This can be worn under the jacket from the matching jacket and pants. I am still considering between a light weight cardigan or my "comfy" sweater, which I hate to leave behind, except that it is bulky.

See what happens? "Well, maybe I might want this."

I wear my SAS's (great walking shoes, not athletic shoes) on the plane to save weight in the checked luggage, and then change into a pair of arcopedicos for the flight....lightweight with rubber soles, stretchy tops, for the plane trip, putting my walking shoes in the carryon. A pair of more dressy shoes are packed in the checked luggage.

We don't travel with rain gear. If it rains and we really need them we buy a couple of cheap plastic ponchos and throw them away before we leave.

I am astounded when I see people at the airport with huge suitcases and bundles of stuff.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to pack? Going to SF 11/4 - 11/9

In Norway we often wonder about the huge suitcases American tourists tend to bring, and we feel sorry for them struggling to get them in and out of trains, buses, ferries etc. I agree with Puter and riffsmom, packing light is not difficult, but requires a minimum of planning. This is what I recommend for travel involving outdoor activities in cool climates, like summer/fall in Norway or fall/winter in San Francisco:

Solid walking shoes (wear them on the plane)

1 pair of jeans (wear them on the plane)

A waterproof windbreaker (Goretex or similar)

1 light sweater of fleece or wool

Wool socks

A selection of shirts, choose colours and fabrics that may be worn for at least two days or may be easily rinsed of and dried in the hotel bathroom

Underwear, same as shirts

If you must bring a more dressy outfit, bring a pair of slacks and a light jacket and a pair of more dressy shoes, but to my experience, most of the time you don't need it.

Dark colours are more practical than light for the outer garments.

Everything should fit nicely into a carry-on-size bag.

The Sea
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What to pack? Going to SF 11/4 - 11/9

And I hardly bring jeans anywhere because they take up so much room in the suitcase, they promptly stretch out and stay wrinkled after one wearing and they take forever to dry!

I always throw in a skirt that I can wear with a 'twin-set' that I've worn with other stuff. Scarves are my great friend on a trip. I bring a pashmina on the plane and pack another to use to dress up daytime casual.I have a friend who layers her pashmina under her coat and over her shoulders, like a small blanket, when the weather turns while touring. I'd rather bring 2 silk/cotton blend cardigans than one bulky sweater.

The single most important thing to bring is a pair of really good walking shoes. Leave the heels at home; the hills are impressive and going down is harder than hiking up.!

Anyway: Plan on layers. You can check traditional weather patterns for S.F. and nearly any other place at wunderground.com.

Edited: 30 August 2010, 12:12
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
7,332 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to pack? Going to SF 11/4 - 11/9

The advantage of jeans in dark colours is that you can wear them for a week, and they still look OK. They may get some wrinkles behind the knees, but everybody knows that's what jeans do. And don't pack them in your suitcase, wear them!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to pack? Going to SF 11/4 - 11/9

I've found full length heavy weight yoga-style pants to be more versitile than jeans. (Hate wearing jeans on the plane, they're really not that comfortable.) Easy to dress up or down. And just roll 'em up -- they never wrinkle.

But ... I don't think I'll manage my month in England without the big suitcase!

The Sea
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: What to pack? Going to SF 11/4 - 11/9

I like yoga pants too.

10. Re: What to pack? Going to SF 11/4 - 11/9

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2011, 06:18