We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some Restaurant Suggestions on Restaurant.com?

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
40 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Some Restaurant Suggestions on Restaurant.com?

Friend and I are going to San Francisco and staying at the Pickwick hotel. So we are looking for decent restaurants near our hotel, and at least one restaurant on the water. I found four restaurants on restaurant.com that are on the water, but I'm hoping there are more. I cannot afford to eat out without using restaurant.com certificates since we are both in college. The ones I found are:

Players Arcade & Sports Grill

Castagnola's

Butterfly

Are there any more, and any of these you recommend? Any near the hotel that are good?

Much appreciated.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,395 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Some Restaurant Suggestions on Restaurant.com?

If you want a more formal sit down dining with wait service, then Butterfly is the only one I would recommend to you, but there are far more restaurants that could be affordable to you without having to use Restaurant.com

If you want to go to casual places, but eat decent food you can go to the following places:

Naan N Curry 336 O'Farrell Street @ Mason - www.naancurry.com‎

Blondie's Pizza (for a quick slice that keeps you full for a few hours: http://www.blondiespizza.com coupon on website)

Chipotle on O'Farrell & Powell 232 O'Farrell Street www.chipotle.com‎

Olympic Flame for brunch or breakfast on 553 Geary Street @ between Taylor & Jones (Walk up Mason to get to Geary, Taylor St. is not so nice below Geary St.)

There is a Whole Foods at 4th & Harrison where you can get fresh sandwiches, salads, and there's a hot food bar.

The Mission district also has many taquerias that are affordable.

San Francisco CA
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Some Restaurant Suggestions on Restaurant.com?

insp- <<I cannot afford to eat out without using restaurant.com certificates since we are both in college. >>

My advice - Skip the expensive restaurants. San Francisco has a wealth of inexpensive places. Go to Chinatown or the Mission or a good deli, get something tasty and go sit NEXT to that waterfront restaurant. People here eat out a lot, but of course most of us don't go to the high end restaurants everyday. I like the New Fortune Dim Sum Bakery on Stockton and Sacramento Streets. The other day I saw a tourist there, he looked at the food, got rice, vegetables, meat, egg roll and pot stickers, and they charged him $3.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
1,210 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Some Restaurant Suggestions on Restaurant.com?

Butterfly is a good option for a splurge dinner on the Bay. It has nice atmosphere and food.

I agree with the other posts though. If you're just looking for good meals, you can do well by sticking to casual, mostly ethnic restaurants in the neighborhoods. But the Restaurant.com coupons can be a good deal for a splurge if you do your research and can handle the restrictions. The certificates are usually more heavily discounted towards the end of the month. I realize this is poor advice on the 1st.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,784 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Some Restaurant Suggestions on Restaurant.com?

Keep an eye out on the daily deal websites for SF, like groupon.com, bloomspot.com, townhog, etc. I often find better quality restaurants on there than restaurant.com, and less restrictions.

For restaurant.com, my favorites are: Circa, Blue Plate, Destino, Hunan Homes, O Izakaya Lounge.

New choices like Players Arcade, Brickyard, Walzwerk, Urban Tavern are solid too.

Cross-check with reviews on yelp.com and you'll get a better idea of each place.

Edited: 01 September 2010, 20:20
San Francisco
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,784 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Some Restaurant Suggestions on Restaurant.com?

Sorry- just noticed you said you wanted something on the water. I'd go with Butterfly. Or better yet, check out happy hour (every day until 6PM) at Waterbar. They have appetizers, $1 oysters, and drink specials.

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
40 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Some Restaurant Suggestions on Restaurant.com?

Happy hour is no go since one of us is under 21. I look at this a different way: I am paying $200 to get down to San Francisco, I want to at least try some of the high(er) end restaurants when I'm down there. And I can afford it using Restaurant.com. I understand everyone's idea though about not eating at the expensive restaurants. It's just the way I travel I guess. I already have two places booked in Chinatown, so no more ethnic restaurants needed. I appreciate everyones suggestions!! Keep them coming!

Edited: 01 September 2010, 21:14
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,395 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Some Restaurant Suggestions on Restaurant.com?

which places did you book in Chinatown, asking out of curiosity? Chinatown tends to be a little touristy but there are a couple of places that might be worth trying like R&G Lounge.

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
40 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Some Restaurant Suggestions on Restaurant.com?

I went with Hunan Home's Restaurant in Chinatown.

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,153 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Some Restaurant Suggestions on Restaurant.com?

What about blackboard eats? Has anyone tried that discount code place for San Francisco (typically 30% off but better restuarants)?

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,784 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Some Restaurant Suggestions on Restaurant.com?

I've actually used blackboard eats and yep- great restaurants on there too!