We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cable Car Ride

Pewaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Topic
Cable Car Ride

We want to do a cable car ride during our 3 day trip in SFo over the Labor day weekend. We are staying at Castle Inn at 1565 Broadway. Which is the closet cabel car point to our hotel and what cabel car ride can we do?

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
5,781 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cable Car Ride

You can walk up about three blocks to Broadway & Hyde to catch the Powell/Hyde line. It runs from the west side of Fisherman's Wharf to Union Square.

Or you can six block down Van Ness to catch the California line at California & Van Ness. This is the end of the line and runs to the through Nob Hill and Chinatown to the Ferry Building.

The California line is less scenic but also less crowded.

Cash fare is $5 each time you step on a cable car unless you've purchased a MUNI pass.

San Francisco CA
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cable Car Ride

IMO the California car is not "less scenic", especially for a visitor. Coming from Van Ness, you rise to the clutter of the Nob Hill apartments and get to of Grace Cathedral. Taylor St. is a good place to get off, play in Huntington Park and see all the big hotels and the southern views. Walking down the one block down Mason to Pine is dramatic and fun. Get off at Stockton Street on top of the tunnel, walk one block to Pine, but uphill this time and see views across Chinatown to the bay. Then the descent into the highrises of the Financial District, ending at the Embarcadero. Whatever your choice, don't stand in those interminable lines at the end of Powell Street or Fisherman's Wharf.

Edited: 02 September 2010, 18:13
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
592 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cable Car Ride

Do the cable cars stop at each intersection or are there designated stops along the route? I have read on here not to stand in line but to go up 1 or 2 blocks-how do you know how far to go up? We are in our sixties and don't think we can hop on mid block..

San Francisco CA
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cable Car Ride

gram - Do not try to jump on mid block. No one should do this. The cars stop at every intersection and the stops are marked on the street or the light pole in yellow. Wait until the car comes to a full stop.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
352 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cable Car Ride

I would think the Labor day weekend would bring many extra visitors to San Francisco. I am going to disagree with other posters. I definitely think you should wait in line at the end of Fisherman's wharf or the end of Powell Street. I have been to San Francisco every month of the year and still find that doing that is best since many cars will just past you by if they are full and they ususally are. So... if you are going to have to wait until you get one that will let you get on, you may as well wait in line. Besides, I never find the wait all that interminable. Also, if you are fit I would take the California line and walk from the Embarcadero to Fisherman's Wharf. I would try and do all the lines as you get different views and see different neighborhoods that you may want to explore.

6. Re: Cable Car Ride

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2011, 07:10