We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants in Union square area

London
Level Contributor
150 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants in Union square area

Staying at the Handley Union and looking for recommendations for breakfast and dinner in the area. Have gone over budget in planning our trip so looking for reasonable suggestions. Thanks

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,422 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants in Union square area

there are plenty of breakfast options

Dottie's True Blue Cafe on 522 Jones Street @ Geary/O'Farrell

Olympic Flame Cafe 553 Geary Street @ Jones/Taylor

Honey Honey Cafe & Crepery on Post & Taylor www.honeyhoneycafeandcrepery.com/

Mo'z Cafe on 36 5th St. http://www.moz-cafe.com/

(use either Mason or Powell instead of Taylor Street to walk north to get to Geary or Post Streets if you go to those breakfast places on Jones or Geary or Taylor & Post. Taylor Street doesn't get nice until above Post Street).

For dinner, plenty of Thai, Indian, Italian places around the area. Venture over to The Mission district and check out the taquerias, which are quite affordable with decent portions.

Edited: 03 September 2010, 19:08
San Francisco
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,927 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants in Union square area

What do you mean by reasonable? This can mean many things depending on the person.

Chez Papa Resto in Mint Plaza has a $35 three course prix fixe on Monday-Wed. nights. Farmer Brown has entrees in the $20 range.

For more budget than that:

Little Delhi has good Indian/Pakistani food. Head to Chinatown for Chinese food- Great Eastern, Z&Y, Hunan Homes. North Beach- Tony's pizza Neapolitana, Don Pistos (Mexican).

London
Level Contributor
150 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants in Union square area

Thanks for yor suggestions - have budgeted arounf $45 per person for dinner

Bay City, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,263 posts
1,282 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants in Union square area

Cheesecake Factory on 6th floor of Macy's overlooing Union Square.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
363 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants in Union square area

If you are willing to spend up to $45 per person for dinner, then go to Kuleto's right on Mason. I have always had a wonderful meal there. Love their breakfast too, but that isn't necessarily budget.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,590 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants in Union square area

Kuleto's is on Powell at O'Farrell in the Villa Florence hotel.

Edited: 04 September 2010, 23:32
San Francisco
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurants in Union square area

Foleys on OFarrell is great! They serve pub food, but also more upscale dishes as well. I am a local and I eat here all the time. I also love The Rotunda at the top of Neiman Marcus for lunch. Very elegant and you wont spend too much if you order the hamburger. Best burger in town. Enjoy the city!

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
55 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurants in Union square area

My husband and I just stayed in the Handlery Hotel in Union Square and it was GREAT! So clean and such a good location!

I suggest going to restaurant.com and buying a certificate for Urban Tavern. We bought two and ate there twice! its around the corner and attached to a nice hotel!

The Daily Grill attached to the Handlery is so good too, kind of pricey, but worth it!

Connecticut
Level Contributor
363 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurants in Union square area

Thanks Puter for correcting my mistake. I did know that. Just a senior moment. At any rate, I love Kuleto;s

New Milford, CT
Level Contributor
348 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurants in Union square area

The Urban Tavern is attached to the Hilton I ate there and had a crazy fantastic meal!! My main course was the stuffed sweet peppers, they were to die for.