We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving to San Francisco

M B
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
driving to San Francisco

Hi all,

I am planning to go to California in December, I would like to visit LA, San Diego, San Francisco , and Vegas..

I am making some arrangements and need some help.

I will go to LA first and stay for a week, and then will either go to SD or Vegas (im still not sure which one to go to first), last destination will be SF. so my question is that is it better to drive to SF from SD or from Vegas?? how many hours will take from both places to reach SF ??

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,484 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving to San Francisco

This depends upon how much time you have and whether you are interested in sights along the way, thus driving.

It is inexpensive to fly between destinations in California and Las Vegas using Southwest Airlines, Virgin America, etc.

Edited: 05 September 2010, 04:01
Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
9,490 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving to San Francisco

I'd rather drive to SF from LV. If you drive to SF from SD, then you have to drive through the LA area, which is always a pain.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,450 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: driving to San Francisco

In December? I would much rather drive from San Diego to SF (about 8 hrs) than from LV. Inclement weather and/or road conditions can make the drive from Las Vegas very long.

Take Puter's recommendation and fly.

california
Level Contributor
371 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: driving to San Francisco

They are each a solid full day drive.

Google maps default directions claims Las Vegas is an hour further from SF than San Diego is, BUT the route from San Diego passes through Los Angeles, so you'd have to time it not to hit Los Angeles rush hour or it could add a couple hours to that drive.

The default route shown on Google maps is the fastest, there are more scenic alternatives to both, that would take a little longer, depending on whether you are just interested in getting to SF or enjoying the ride there more.

Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,998 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: driving to San Francisco

I suggest the Southwest Airlines or other competitors' flight options unless you're really ready to drive from San Diego to SF. By being ready, I mean having to go through Los Angeles traffic and/or San Jose traffic. If you have to negotiate those parts of the world anywhere near rush hour, it's not too fun.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,121 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: driving to San Francisco

How much time in total do you have?

Are you also leaving from LA - in other words, doing a circle route?

Do you like to take your time driving and enjoy the scenery?

M B
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: driving to San Francisco

Thanks alot for the replies. I have a flexible time, so i can avoid leaving from either cities on rush hours. what is the best time to take the road to avoid rush hours?

I have around 20 days to spend in cali (LA, SD, SF) and vegas. and yes my return flight will be from LA.

Edited: 05 September 2010, 08:39
Sunnyvale...
Destination Expert
for San Jose
Level Contributor
5,998 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: driving to San Francisco

Rush hour is weekdays.

Los Angeles has it in all directions in every direction 7am to 8pm.

SF south Bay Area between Gilroy and SF: north bound 730am to 930am. south bound 3pm to 7pm.

For more details, watch Sigalert.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
9,490 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: driving to San Francisco

Hell, I've been stuck in traffic jams at 10 pm on a Sunday evening in LA.

10. Re: driving to San Francisco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2011, 05:18