We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which of these 2 routes is quickest?

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
136 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Which of these 2 routes is quickest?

Please advise: from San Fran airport to Pebble Beach, which is quickest (not most scenic):

101 to 156 to 1

or

101 to 85 to 17 to 1

Thanks!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,289 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which of these 2 routes is quickest?

101 to 156 to 1 is four minutes slower according to Google Maps. It's more direct, with fewer curvy parts, but not as scenic.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,660 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which of these 2 routes is quickest?

Can't say with 100% certainty, but of the two you listed, I would say 101 to 156 to 1. Unless things have changed dramatically since I moved away, the 17 can be very problematic (especially at anything approaching rush hour).

That said, I think the following might be quicker - the point is that the 101 can often be jammed and/or is more subject to delays (accidents, etc) - while the 280 generally has a better traffic flow. (Time of day will have some influence on this, if you're talking about driving at the dead of night . . . .)

101 to 380 to 280 to 85 to 101 to 156 to 1.

The *very* short northern/initial western leg (380) will only cost you a few minutes and going on the 280 versus the 101 will probably more than make up for it.

My route is also designed to skirt cities more than going through the middle of them (which your route does). On my route the section I'm least sure of is the 85 leg don't have any specific memory of this highway and depending on various factors (time of day being a big one), it might be better to just stay on the 280 to the 101.

That's my $.02, but the advice of current locals should be heeded more,

hlo

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,951 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which of these 2 routes is quickest?

A few things...

1. Don't take 101 directly from SFO in either case. Take 380 west to 280 south to 85 south, then continue on to 17/1 or 101/156/1.

2. It's pretty much a wash in terms of travel time.

3. The 17 option is slightly more scenic, but 17 itself is more susceptible to problems because it is a very curvy highway (read: there are more accidents that can severely delay traffic, and closures are more likely in adverse weather conditions).

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which of these 2 routes is quickest?

Definnitely do the 101 (N) to 380W to 280S option.

I prefer 17 because there is a lot of traffic on101S of San Jose through Morgan Hill, Gilroy etc. Lots of suburban building creates more traffic. Hiway 17 is a lot more scenic as well.

You can check 511 for "up to the minute" traffic. It is voice activated and can be helpful.

5. Re: Which of these 2 routes is quickest?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 March 2011, 17:18