We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dining in San Francisco..any advice?

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Yorkshire
Level Contributor
16 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Dining in San Francisco..any advice?

My wife and I are staying at the Argonaut Hotel at Fisherman's Wharf in October as part of our 25th wedding anniversary vacation (we're from the UK). We've never been to SF before so can anyone recommend any nice evening dining spots. I dont like my restaurants too pretentious and I like to get value for money, however, this is a special occasion so I'm open to any suggestions. Nice food, atmosphere and perhaps live music.... Thanks

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dining in San Francisco..any advice?

Oh Boy -- I mean, entire books have been written on San Francisco restaurants! What is your approximate budget (dollars, not adjectives)? Is there a type of cuisine that you especially like? Or don't?

Gary Danko is perhaps the city's best restaurant and is quite close to the Argonaut (about 2 blocks up Hyde at North Point) but is pricey and probably booked up for most of October by now.

I would suggest that you look farther afield than Fisherman's Wharf. The restuarants in the area cater to tourists rather than any potential repeat customers. As a result the food is underwelming and overpriced.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
16 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dining in San Francisco..any advice?

Sorry I should have mentioned a budget...probably $50-60 max per head

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,395 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dining in San Francisco..any advice?

if $50-60 per person before alcohol is priced, you'll be fine, but if including alcohol, you may not get a fine dining experience you are expecting. However you could probably do well if you bring your own wine to Indigo which does not have a corkage fee: Indigo http://www.indigorestaurant.com/food.html

You can find a great bottle of wine in SF at a decent value at both The Jug Shop www.jugshop.com and at Spencer & Daniels http://www.spenceranddaniels.com and those websites are a small sampling of what is in the store.

If you were not including alcohol and the price of food is before alcohol per person is, say, $45-60 (add-in tip and tax), then I recommend Chapeau on Clement between 2nd & 3rd Ave. www.chapeausf.com the restaurant is owned by chef and his wife; you'll even see them talking with people in dining room while you are at the restaurant; go for the 4-course menu, which is $42 and you get: Choice of Appetizer, Tasting Fish, Choice of Entrée & Dessert. It is a very pleasant experience and Chapeau also has a full bar.

San Francisco Bay...
Level Contributor
160 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dining in San Francisco..any advice?

If you can not get a reservation at Gary Danko, you can try Boulevard or One Market. The wine shop in the Ferry Bldg. called Wine Merchant is excellent and the staff is very knowledgeable. They are right across the street from the Ferry Building. I would definitely take your own bottle of wine to dinner with one reservation, and that is to call the restaurant and ask if they have your bottle of wine on their wine list. If they do, re-think your bottle as it is a bit rude to bring the same bottle in to save a few bucks. Remember expensive wine does not mean it is good wine.

San Francisco Bay...
Level Contributor
160 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dining in San Francisco..any advice?

Sorry, my earlier post suggesting Boulevard Restaurant came up as a town somewhere. Here is the correct site www.boulevardrestaurant.com.

6. Re: Dining in San Francisco..any advice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 March 2011, 06:20