We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worth a day trip to Yosemite on a 6 day holiday to san fran?

Brisbane
Level Contributor
20 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Worth a day trip to Yosemite on a 6 day holiday to san fran?

Hi all

We are arriving in San Fran next Monday and wondering if it would be worth hiring a car and taking a trip to San Fran? We are wondering if it is worth it considering we only have 5 days in San Fran. I realise it would be a long day trip with lots of driving.

Also, we are also considering a morning trip out to Napa Valley, stop for lunch and then head back into the city. As I don't think there is enough time to do both trips would you think Napa orYosemite is the way to go? Or do you think we should take two days out of San Fran to do both?

Would love to get your thoughts on this!

Thanks

San Francisco CA
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Worth a day trip to Yosemite on a 6 day holiday to san fran?

kate - Yosemite is very beautiful, but it is also several hours from the City, and really you need at least a full day to enjoy it. I would not do it as a day trip. Napa is just a hour out of town so that is doable. Depending on what your interests are, you will probably find enough to do in San Francisco in those days and not miss going anywhere out of the City.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,586 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Worth a day trip to Yosemite on a 6 day holiday to san fran?

A wine country (Napa, Sonoma & nearby areas) is a very reasonable day trip from San Francisco, Yosemite is not.

With Yosemite you're talking something like 4+ hours of driving *one-way.* And, that doesn't factor in any stops for restroom breaks, eating, etc; nor any potential traffic delays (something that is possible if not probable). Thus, you're talking about 8-9 (maybe 10 or more) hours of driving in order to spend, what, a few hours in Yosemite? Spending only 3, 4, 5 or even 6 hours in Yosemite is really shortchanging it.

The general opinion of forum posters is that a day trip to Yosemite is just too much driving and doesn't do Yosemite justice. You'll end up spending a ton of time driving (probably twice as much as you will in Yosemite) and it's not like the scenery of the drive is something to write home about.

Anyway, that's my $.02,

hlo

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Worth a day trip to Yosemite on a 6 day holiday to san fran?

Yosemite is one of the most amazing places on the planet, you should go there if you can make it work. it's 100 times better than Napa IMHO. I agree a day trip doesn't do it justice, spend the night if you can squeeze it in.

Edited: 06 October 2010, 22:55
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
5,866 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Worth a day trip to Yosemite on a 6 day holiday to san fran?

To me Yosemite is at least a long weekend. It's a very long drive to get there. And it really depends on the time of year. If it's winter, it's an entirely different story.

If you want less stress, there's plenty to see north of San Francisco, Napa, Sonoma, Russian River, Mendocino, etc.

One could also argue that going south to Big Sur could also be awe inspiring from a nature perspective.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
59,244 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Worth a day trip to Yosemite on a 6 day holiday to san fran?

It's a four hour drive. Yosemite is a destination known all over the world. Is a one day visit worth it to you? For some folks it is, and for others it isn't.

If you like to really enjoy a destination and to get to know it well, then stay in San Francisco. You can easily fill five days and wish you had more time. If you prefer to get a tiny sample of a destination and to move on, then drive to Napa for a day and to Yosemite for a day. Again, it's YOUR travel style and spending your vacation in a way that suits you.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
20 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Worth a day trip to Yosemite on a 6 day holiday to san fran?

Hi everyone

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. We realised the length of the drive, but were really tossing up if it was worth it or not. I think I will take everyones advice and leave it out and stay in and around the city for the days we are there (with a trip to Napa added in).

Thanks again, I can't wait to visit : )

7. Re: Worth a day trip to Yosemite on a 6 day holiday to san fran?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 April 2011, 07:17