We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

49 mile scenic drive: vantage points for the Golden Gate Bri

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
556 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
49 mile scenic drive: vantage points for the Golden Gate Bri

Good morning

I will have an afternoon to spend in San Francisco before I head back home and figure if the day is nice, it would be a nice way to spend the afternoon and get some nice snaps too.

Along this drive, what are the vantage points for the Golden Gate Bridge?

Apparently Marshall Beach and Fort Point are a few really good spots. Will this be along the scenic drive?

I haven't bought a city map, and if I don't get a chance to do so on the trip at least I can follow the pointing seagull (do they still use those signs? last/only time I did this was straight out of college. cough-cough years ago).

For the locals - what is your favorite vantage point, and, other than driving around randomly looking for a spot to park and shoot, is there some specific place I should seek out?

Thank you!

Sacramento...
Destination Expert
for Sacramento
Level Contributor
1,713 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 49 mile scenic drive: vantage points for the Golden Gate Bri

yes.....you should go to Golden Gate National Recreation Area View Area. Its the right turn just before the toll booths northbound. Park the car, walk the bridge along with hundreds of other people.

goldengatebridge.org/visitors/directions.php

Fort Point offers a decent view of the underside of the bridge.

Marin County parking area on US 101 north offers scenic vistas fron the other side of the channel.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 49 mile scenic drive: vantage points for the Golden Gate Bri

Every view of the GG Bridge is a great one. There is a turnout on Lincoln Blvd in the Presidio that has a great view looking east towards the Bridge.

The view from the Marin Headlands on the northwest side of the bridge is great too. If you have time, walk down to Kirby Cove. parksconservancy.org/visit/…kirby-cove.html

I wouldn't rely on the "seagull" signs to get yourself around the 49 mile scenic drive. Seems the signs are a bit catch-as-catch-can. There is a PDF of the map as a link off Wikipedia. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/49-Mile_Scenic_Drive

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 49 mile scenic drive: vantage points for the Golden Gate Bri

Another vote here for the Marin headlands, it's probably the most often used view in pro photos like the one linked below. It's not on the 49 mile drive but very easy to get to:

Go North over the bridge, take the first exit, loop around under the freeway, follow the road up to any wide spot in the road for a view.

visitingdc.com/san-francisco/golden-gate-bri…

4. Re: 49 mile scenic drive: vantage points for the Golden Gate Bri

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 April 2011, 05:17