We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A few questions

Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
889 posts
160 reviews
Save Topic
A few questions

1. Will things be open on Thanksgiving or is it a holiday for everyone?

2. When do people have Thanksgiving dinner, and do we need to make reservations at restaurants ahead of time if it will be busy?

3. Our return flight is at 9pm and we will be coming up from Monterrey so can anyone recommend a restaurant somewhere near the airport for dinner?

We will be in San Francisco from Nov. 19 until the 28th.

Thanks

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,048 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A few questions

It is hard to say what will be open on Thanksgiving. More and more, stores and etc. are open on holidays, probably more especially because of the recession.

The day after Thanksgiving is a traditional "shopping" day before Christmas. I, personally, stay completely clear of the crowd crush.

As for Thanksgiving dinner, most people do it at home, as a family tradition, but I would make restaurant reservations anyway...you probably don't have to make then way ahead of time, however.

Local San Franciscans can help you find restaurants which will serve that day.

Happy Thanksgiving :~)

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,395 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A few questions

Nearly everything is closed on T-G day as far as tourist attractions except for the cable cars and many restaurants are closed unless they schedule special Thanksgiving menus. for reservations, see http://www.opentable.com/promo.aspx?pid=1&m=4

the annual Turkey Trot in GG Park is fun to watch if there is good weather: http://www.turkeytrailtrot.com/2010/

not sure about dining in the SFO Airport area; other forum TA members may have suggestions

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,048 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A few questions

As for dinner before your 9 pm flight.....I believe you are supposed to check in and go through security 2 hours ahead of time?

If so, I would simply eat at the airport. There are evidently some quite acceptable restaurants there, strange as that may seem. There was a thread here recently listing a few.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A few questions

The restaurants that "do" Thanksgiving dinner are primarily those in the large hotels. (Check www.opentable.com) These are frequently buffet affairs and price is high for what you get IMO. Even non-hotel restaurants that are open on T-day generally serve a special menu.

The American tradition of Thanksgiving is having a big family meal at home (the forced march through a huge meal with people you don't speak to for the rest of the year).

It's not a meal I enjoy going out to because I think the prices are high for what you get and even I (complete non-cook that I am) am able to shove a turkey in the oven once a year and get at least a week's worth of food out of the effort.

Chinatown is one area where most restaurants are open and regular menus and prices prevail.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,289 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A few questions

It looks like 231 Ellsworth (Contemporary American) in San Mateo is open on Thanksgiving, as well as Sodini's Bertolucci's (Italian) in South San Francisco. There are many other places open nearer the airport, but not many I'd recommend.

6. Re: A few questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 April 2011, 05:19