We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self catering accommodation in San Francisco

Christchurch, New...
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Self catering accommodation in San Francisco

Hi, we are a family of 4 (two adults and two teenagers) who will be staying for 5 nights in early January 2011. Am pretty sure we want to stay in the Union Square area and think a self catering/apartment style accommodation would be best.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Union Square
Union Square
1,889 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,444 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Self catering accommodation in San Francisco

you could see what is available by emailing Grosvenor Suites and asking about apartments (the teens count for adults) http://www.grosvenorsuites.com/contact.htm

VRBO is also a resource, provide us the cross streets when you narrow your search and we can let you know how the neighborhood is at night.

vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/…san-francisco

San Francisco
Level Contributor
276 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Self catering accommodation in San Francisco

I recommend checking out the 'Vacation Rentals" tab on this website. Look at the bar on the left side of the screen. Trip Advisor has a new feature which allows you to see ALL the listings on a map. So just click on the Vacation REntals tab and pull up any of the listings, then click on the "show on map" to see the map of all the listings. This way you can easily find a listing in the neighborhood you desire.

These listings are paid for by the owners ( similar to VRBO) , but all have verified "Flipkey" reviews, which means that the reviews come from real customers and verified by the Flipkey people.

uk
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Self catering accommodation in San Francisco

Just a little warning: we rented a place in san fran in August 2010 and live in the uk. We never got our deposit back. I sent several emails to the owner who kept replying ' i will look into it'. In order to sue through the small claims court you must go in person (a little awkward if living out of the country or in another distant US state). The listing number for the property keeps changing making it difficult to make a comment about the rental address. In addition the owner changed our property location within a week of the rental due to 'overbooking'. I am not very impressed with VBRO and know that the property owner has more than one property in san francisco

Christchurch, New...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Self catering accommodation in San Francisco

Thanks for that warning and a shame to hear of that not so good experience.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Self catering accommodation in San Francisco

jorob: There was someone recently who rented a place on Nob Hill via VRBO and was quite happy with it. I tried to search this forum for the report but couldn't locate it.

We don't get many TR's from people who self-catered so we don't have much to recommend.

mebee: I too am sorry you had this experience. Please post the address of rental (if the vrbo number is changing) for others to be warned. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Nob Hill
Nob Hill
193 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
arizona
Level Contributor
311 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Self catering accommodation in San Francisco

My family (two adults and two boys) have rented from vrbo at least 3 times. So far our experiences have all been positive. We've also rented a flat (with free parking!) in Nob Hill through vrbo for our trip next month.

When renting through vrbo or a similar company, we look for good, prompt communication from the owner, we ask lots of questions, and we use a credit card for payment and deposit. That way we have recourse if there are any problems.

We prefer self-catering when possible for the extra space, kitchen and laundry facilities.

Hope this helps,

azislandgirl

Mentioned in this post
Nob Hill
Nob Hill
193 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
7. Re: Self catering accommodation in San Francisco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2011, 05:17