We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help plan my trip- SF and North!

Mpls MN
Level Contributor
30 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Help plan my trip- SF and North!

We've got Thursday- Monday evening in CA. We'd like to stay one night in SF, then head to Sonoma or Napa, and onto the Redwood Forest. Is this feasible? My head is spinning trying to plan this? (For next weekend, nonetheless!) Thanks in advance!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help plan my trip- SF and North!

There are a lot of "Redwood Forests" in California. Are you speaking of Redwood National Forest? If so, I'd say that's too far ... it's 300+ miles north of San Francisco.

On the other hand there are redwood forests at Muir Woods National Park or Armstong Redwood State park in Sonoma County, both of which are on the SF->wine country route.

However, even in the off season wine country is a popular weekend destination. If you're planning this for an upcoming weekend, I would look into getting things booked in wine country quickly.

Mpls MN
Level Contributor
30 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help plan my trip- SF and North!

Thanks for the reply. Is it too ambitious to head to Mendocino from SF in one day?

san francisco
Level Contributor
543 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help plan my trip- SF and North!

Not if you don't mind driving 2.5 hours each way, although there's plenty of beautiful places up the coast that are much closer. The Russian river valley is great, as is the Marin Headlands, Stinson Beach and Pt. Reyes., all more or less within an hour's drive.

Ramblinsal is right -- if you plan on staying in wine country, book now! My wife and I had to cancel getaway plans this weekend because nothing was available.

San Francisco CA
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help plan my trip- SF and North!

via - Have you been here before? If not, consider staying all 3 days in the City. There is so much to do and see. Maybe go one morning to Muir Woods, Sonoma or Napa.

san francisco
Level Contributor
543 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help plan my trip- SF and North!

latinafro has a point, Viajera -- we are talking about America's greatest city, and one of the best in the world!

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,471 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help plan my trip- SF and North!

If you have a long weekend, the Mendocino area is an excellent choice. You could take Hwy 101 and 128 on the way up and stop at vineyards in Anderson Valley and visit redwoods along the Navarro River on your way to the coast. Then, if the weather is nice, drive back by the coastal route Hwy 1 for your return to San Francisco. There is plenty of varied lodging options in Little River, Albion, Mendocino, and Fort Bragg.

The drive from SF to Mendocino is a little more than 3 hours but you could spend most of the day if you stop to visit wineries and hug the trees.

avwines.com/index.php/…

7. Re: Help plan my trip- SF and North!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 May 2011, 06:30