We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mr Toad's or Tower Tours in December?

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Omaha
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Mr Toad's or Tower Tours in December?

My husband & I will be in San Francisco for 2 days on December 28 & 29. I would like to optimize the time we have to see as much as possible in the limited amount of time we have there.

We will be staying in the Union Hill area & we also hope to take a tour of Alcatraz......so, which tour do you recommend?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mr Toad's or Tower Tours in December?

The two are very different tours. Tower Tour is a big bus tour (you couldn't pay me to get on one) while Mr. Toad's is a much smaller vehicle -- which does allow it on streets that big buses aren't allowed on.

I would compare what sights the two tours indicate they visit and how long the tours take and decide which works for you.

If it were me I'd go with Mr. Toad's ... they get good mention on this forums as well.

newark ohio
Level Contributor
618 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mr Toad's or Tower Tours in December?

We did the Mr. toads tour in the summer and it was perfect for our needs. We were in a 1900 Yellowstone car with John Franciso the tour guide. That really was his name!!! It was cold but they provided blankets and heaters by our feet. The tour was an overview of the city. We were with 2 other couples. We have 2 kids 11 and 13. We also did a walking tour of China town with Wok Wiz which I highly recommend. We enjoyed the inside view of the area, history and introduction to dim sum. Have a great visit and dont forget the coats, gloves and hats. We had to buy my son a jacket since it was so cold in July. We also did the Yosemite are and had a blast. We stayed at The lodge at the Falls and Curry village. for 4 days. Have fun.

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,128 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mr Toad's or Tower Tours in December?

I haven't heard of Tower Tours, but we did Mr Toads back in July and is was amazing! We wouldn't of seen half the sights we saw in SF, if not for Mr Toad. Our guide was incrediablty knowlegable about SF, with interesting facts, and tons of SF sights on the 3hr tour. One of the best tours I've ever done.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,848 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mr Toad's or Tower Tours in December?

I would choose Mr. Toad, as well.

You said...

>>We will be staying in the Union Hill area & we also hope to take a tour of Alcatraz......so, which tour do you recommend?<<

I think you mean either Union Square, or Nob Hill, but that's OK, they are only separated by a steep hill. :~)

For Alcatraz, book ahead on the official website....alcatrazcruises.com. Don't be snookered into another company for this tour. They buy up blocks of tickets and include Alcatraz, at a premium price, but the official company is alcatrazcruises.com.

Edited: 10 November 2010, 01:05
Dublin, California
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Mr Toad's or Tower Tours in December?

I recommend Tower Tours! We had a great time, and their tour guides were wonderful! They also provided a complimentary pick-up from our hotel. When we explored Mr. Toads Tours, they made us come to them from the Nob HIll area, and they looked a bit strange selling their tickets on a sidewalk.

We did the City and Alcatraz with Tower Tours, Vinnie the Italian, and a Wine Tour of Napa and Sonoma with Bill. Both guides are hilarious! The really made our trip.

They really made our trip something else, and we are happy with our decision.

Good luck in your choice! When in doubt, ask your hotel concierge for a recommendation! Our concierge, Nelson, gave us an excellent recommendation!

6. Re: Mr Toad's or Tower Tours in December?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2011, 05:17