We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip to Sacramento from San Francisco

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Louisville, Ky
Level Contributor
730 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Day Trip to Sacramento from San Francisco

Would it be possible to do a day trip to Sacramento by way of Mount Diablo if we get an early start? Maybe do an overview of the park and then head on to Sacrammento?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,286 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trip to Sacramento from San Francisco

Yes, but it would be a very long day.

monterey,ca
Level Contributor
64 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trip to Sacramento from San Francisco

Hi Don, may I ask why you are going to Sac ? Visiting relatives or doing business ? Otherwise, save your time ! We were there last fall and really expected a lot from the area called Old Town. It is about two streets wide and full of nothing worth the drive. Mostly empty store fronts . We did enjoy the train museum but we were there for a wedding and had some free time. Go to Monterey instead ! MG

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
6,111 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trip to Sacramento from San Francisco

I'd go to Sacto but save Mount Diablo for another day. The two are too much. If you go to Sacto, make sure you go to the Capitol. Skip Old Town, or cruise it on your way out... unless you're a railroad buff, that is.

Placerville, CA
Level Contributor
398 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trip to Sacramento from San Francisco

Yep, I think that Sacto via Mt Diablo would just be exhausting. There are lots of things to do in Sac. Take a look at this thread: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g32999-i297-k41974…

I'm not a train buff, but I was awed by the Railroad Museum! Also awed by the newly renovated Stanford House and the Capitol. Sutter's Fort offers a glimpse of life right before the Gold Rush.

If you like being on the water, you can take float trips down the lower American River; here's an article about it: findarticles.com/p/…ai_4224808

Or for a wilder ride, go about an hour east of Sac, near Placerville, for fun whitewater: www.visit-eldorado.com/rafting_outfitters.asp . My personal favorite outfitter is American Whitewater Expeditions, but there are a lot of others posted at the link above.

Oh - and if you have kids - or like Jelly Belly jelly beans, the factory tour on the way to Sacto from SF is fun!

Have a great time!