We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to come

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
136 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Best time to come

Am sitting here in Iowa thinking of heading out to your city and the surrounding wine country. Not sure when it is best to come but would like to come in the spring when the flora and fauna are in full bloom. Planning on spending a few days in the city and then it is on the road to santa rosa and wine country. Looking for a range of dates that we could use for planning purposes. Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this post.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,394 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time to come

late May-early June and September-October. book early to avoid high hotel prices. see the convention calendar to avoid dates where peak room capacity is high enough to create a high demand: http://www.sfcvb.org/convention/calendar.asp

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
5,562 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time to come

September is our best weather.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time to come

SF's best weather is September - early October.

Mustard blooms in the vineyards in March/April.

Crush in the wine country depends on the season but usually October.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
392 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time to come

September, October but if you like hot weather 85F-95F and off shore wind (no cooling wind from the ocean) San Francisco can be hot like Las Vegas or Los Angeles with very low humidity. January, February rain. - IMO best time to come April to August.

SF
Level Contributor
165 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time to come

I'll vote for Sep/Oct. When it's warm and sunny, SF is paradise. But Summer in SF often chilly as hell except for a few days of "heat wave". You know, "the coldest winter was the summer in SF" Go for warm weather in SF!

--
Level Contributor
3,722 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best time to come

fzmk writes>>September, October but if you like hot weather 85F-95F and off shore wind (no cooling wind from the ocean) San Francisco can be hot like Las Vegas or Los Angeles with very low humidity. ....<<

This would be the alternate universe San Francisco, would it not?

San Francisco MAY have a 3-4 day run of 85-90°F weather sometime in September or October, but the average temperatures run in a low/high range of 56/71°F in September and 55/70°F for October. In comparison Los Angeles gets a 65/83°F for September and 60/79°F for October, while Las Vegas is 69/94°F and 57/81°F.

Humidity-wise the average relative humidity in San Francisco remains remarkably constant year-round with morning averages in the low 80% range, and afternoons dancing around the high 50%s and low to mid 60%s. In comparison Las Vegas in September is 23% in the morning and 17% in the afternoon, while October jumps all the way to 25% in the morning and 19% in the afternoon.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,744 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best time to come

Caffiend,

Thank you for correcting fzmk. I could not believe that somebody who claims to be from San Francisco could put out that outrageously incorrect weather nformation.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best time to come

Yeah, ditto that.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
13,622 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best time to come

fzmk's weather info is markedly wrong for San Francisco itself, but not far off for the wine country. During the summer, it is quite hot in Napa and Sonoma (sometimes 20-30 degrees warmer than in the city of SF).

Wine country has its attractions any time of year, and of course wine tasting is always in season! During the winter, there are fewer crowds, and while the vineyards are bare the grass in the fields is green due to the rainy season. During the summer, the grass is dry and brown, but the vineyards are green. In the fall, you get colors on the vines as well.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,846 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best time to come

I'll second (or third or whatever) that the best SF weather is in September and October.

If you want to come earlier in the year, I suggest March or April. It'll be cool, but fog will not be much of an issue. By May fog is more common, especially close to the Golden Gate.

Do you have strong allergies? I enjoy the occasional visit to Sonoma County--in fact I have to travel there for work--but the springtime is an absolute nightmare for me, and I don't even have strong seasonal allergies. Be prepared!

P.S. You won't want to spend much/any time in Santa Rosa. There's not much going on there, and it's not particularly attractive either. Aim to stay in one of the nice vineyard towns, or if you must stay in a larger community, aim for Sonoma (ideally) or at the very least Petaluma.