We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Medium priced hotel near fisherman's wharf

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
86 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Medium priced hotel near fisherman's wharf

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

San Francisco Bay...
Level Contributor
160 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Medium priced hotel near fisherman's wharf

Tough question. What is your price range for medium, and what do you expect for medim price?

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,214 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Medium priced hotel near fisherman's wharf

Your dates would help as well.

Rates can vary considerably at differnt times of the year.

Bloomington, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Bloomington
Level Contributor
8,349 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Medium priced hotel near fisherman's wharf

And now the obligatory, ". . . in most cases, the general forum advice is to stay somewhere other then Fisherman's Wharf . . ." response.

<We now return you to your regularly scheduled internet>

hlo

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Medium priced hotel near fisherman's wharf

I am paying $110 for the Sheraton at Fisherman's Wharf at the end of February, beginning of March.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
86 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Medium priced hotel near fisherman's wharf

I am intrigued by your advice. I am newly planning this and have not heard this. Would I be better off staying in the Union Square area. Why not the Fisherman's Wharf area? Wanted to be in the middle of everything - thought it woud be most beautiful along the water.

Going mid-April.

By middle pricing I mean in the $150 a night range - unless, for San Fran, that isn't middle range - then I'd go up, but would hope not to have to.

Edited: 26 January 2011, 23:12
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
56,546 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Medium priced hotel near fisherman's wharf

Hi Sceneryseeker60

When you add a new topic to TripAdvisor, there are some suggestions in the box to the right.

<<<<<<<<

To get the best advice, include:

Your budget

Your travel companions

Your part of town

Your likes, dislikes

>>>>>>>>>

The folks on the SF forum are some of the most helpful people on TripAdvisor, but they aren't mind readers. Why have you selected Fisherman's Wharf? Will you have a car? When will you be traveling? (If you're visiting during a conference, rooms are scarce and prices may be higher.) Is this a room for 1 adult or for a family of 4? What do you plan to do when you're in the City? What is your travel style?

A few months ago a visitor asked for help choosing a hotel that was a bit more edgy. He preferred to be in a "happening" or even somewhat sketchy neighborhood . He wanted to be in the midst of noise, nightlife, and such. It was fascinating to lurk on that thread and see how the planning developed. With details supplied by the traveler, I think he received perfect suggestions for HIS trip.

Now what about your trip?

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,744 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Medium priced hotel near fisherman's wharf

The Fisherman's Wharf vs. Union Square depate goes on and on.

Here is a thread that contains an intelligent message comparing the two.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60713-i30-k298880…

(If that URL is too long, use this one.

http://tinyurl.com/4t8bv6n

In general Fisherman's Wharf is "tourist central" with cheap souvenir shops, overpriced and under quality restaurants. If you have children with you they like schlocky Pier 39 and to see the sea lions. Grownups enjoy some of it too, but it can be tiresome to "live" there.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
86 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Medium priced hotel near fisherman's wharf

to PacificNW writer - WOW - I did NOT SEE the info on the far right - HOW I missed it is beyond me.. I will investigate more closely before I post here again. - thank you for your patience with me.

We are not going to have a car in San Fran. We are mid-50's and active ppl who enjoy cycling and walking and water views. We will be watching our money, so planning stays in the area of $150 a night or so.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
86 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Medium priced hotel near fisherman's wharf

this is very useful info! Thank you. I will investigate further.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
8,614 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Medium priced hotel near fisherman's wharf

I have plenty of out-of-town friends and family who love FIsherman's Wharf. It is very touristy, though. (It's also de rigueur for locals to look down their noses at it.)

Union Square is in the middle of things, with lots of shopping, restaurants, and easy access to public transit, but it's not on the water. It's somewhat akin to being in the middle of Manhattan.

The Embarcadero is a compromise between Fisherman's Wharf and Union Square. It's near the water and is very pleasant, but is much less energetic thanf Fisherman's Wharf or Union Square.

You shouldn't have a hard time getting a decent hotel for $150/night either at Fisherman's Wharf or Union Square. Look at www.hotelres.com for some options.