We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any Rules for Teens?

Santa Ana...
Level Contributor
98 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Any Rules for Teens?

Well, we are finally ready to leave tomorrow! We are turning our new 18 year old and her two friends loose during the day and meeting them for dinner. They only plan to hang around Union Square, Fisherman's Wharf, possibly Chinatown. Two/three haven't been here so they want to hit the major hotspots.

Beyond telling them not to venture south of Market Street, are there any other cautions I should give them beyond watch out for pickpockets and put a $20 and the hotel address in your pocket?? I actually am pretty confident of their abilities, but one of the other moms is less so. We plan to meet at Kuletos for dinner and then hit Macy's Burger Bar for dessert Friday night, and then take the ferry down to Towns End for breakfast, so our food choices are set . Cautions? We are from Orange County but our family has been to beautiful SF several times in the past.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,886 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any Rules for Teens?

SOMA isn't too all bad (depends on which part), but it does get sketchy along Market Street past the Westfield Mall, from Market and 5th toward 8th Streets. I also think pickpocketing is a huge concern, but it's always good to be extra careful.

Also, ferry to Townsend restaurant...pretty sure that's not possible. But you can hop on the N or the T MUNI underground to the restaurant. Or better yet, walk along the piers if the weather is nice.

Edited: 27 January 2011, 19:50
San Francisco
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,886 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any Rules for Teens?

Sorry- that should say, "I *don't think pickpocketing is a huge concern"..

Really need to work on my proofreading skills. :)

In either case, hope you guys have a nice trip up here. FYI, I just heard it may rain on Sunday, so be prepared for that too.

san francisco
Level Contributor
543 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any Rules for Teens?

They will be fine so long as they stick together and don't walk down any dark alleys. (If they are anything like I was when I was 18 be careful of where you tell them NOT to go, because that's right where I would head)

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
6,045 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any Rules for Teens?

My only tip - don't stay on the T-line past the Cal-train station. It goes into the sketchiest neighborhoods like Bayview. There's no reason to go there, but just don't do it by mistake.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any Rules for Teens?

I know "times have changed" but starting when I was about 12 I was allowed to take the train up to SF from the Peninsula with friends, shop Union Square, get a sundae at Blum's (yeah, that dates me), take the cable car over to Fisherman's Wharf and get back to the train station (always with a bunch of flowers for mom as a "thank you").

These young people are old enough to vote, sign contracts, join the Army, etc. It sounds like you have brought yours up to understand this and have confidence in her (I believe your speaking of daughters here). If another mother can't cut the apron strings or her daughter doesn't deserve that trust, that's another issue.

There are no "rules," there are life lessons. This is a good one for young people this age.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
9,383 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any Rules for Teens?

Hope they don't come back to dinner with green hair, new body piercings and tattoos.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,507 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any Rules for Teens?

I agree with Sal. These are girls who will be graduating high school and perhaps going off to college. I imagine they have been driving and go off to the mall on their own in your home town. Not sure why "the big bad city" would be much different?? The only main prob would be if they get lost but they'll have cell phones and a map or something like that and they should be fine if they have common sense.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
15,054 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any Rules for Teens?

Yeah, good points, Sal. In a year or so, some of these young ladies will be leaving home to go to college or jobs, or other new adventures. They might end up in some strange and bizarre places where their experiences in San Francisco will be good preparation.

Like Sal, I recall the "good old days." When I was 14-15, I was riding my bicycle all over town. My folks would have grounded me if they'd known half the places I went, but the point was that I was allowed to go and to have those experienmces. I was taking Muni all over as well, including what was then called "the Fillmore district." Longtime locals will recall it. And we didn't have cell phones. The main precautions my parents would give us: be sure you have some small change in case you need to use a pay phone.

As for walking downtown, Mission Street as far as 5th will be fine. That's the back side of the Westfield San Francisco Centre mall and several tourist- and business-class hotels are in the area. They should not go west of 5th Street (stick to the 900 blocks and lower on Mission or Market). The blocks east of about 3rd Street will probably have less of interest for them, and at night they will be unappealing because they're largely devoid of visitors, working people, and shoppers.

Everyone have a good time--and don't spend all your money in one place! (That was another piece of advice my parents gave me when I got my first "real" job).

Santa Ana...
Level Contributor
98 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any Rules for Teens?

Thanks for all the great advice. The trip was FANTASTIC! I thought you might appreciate a brief trip report:

First of all, Jet Blue totally rocks. From now on, we are traveling Jet Blue whenever possible. At least 6 inches more legroom, a screen at every spot....and Long Beach Airport is fun and kitschy!

Our teens did fantastic on their own. From the Handlery (perfect hotel for us) they took the cablecar to chinatown, ate in a restaurnt they picked where they were the only Caucasians and noone spoke English - guessed at their food and LOVED the adventuret! Took the bus to the Golden Gate - walked 1/2 across, then took bus down to Haight Ashbury - hung out - then Union Square for shopping - then Kutetos for dinner - then back to the hotel for fun in our room. Every step was guided by kind San Franciscans as well as fun people from all over the world. They counselled a mom with a teen who had just gotten tongue piercing, advised a tourist from Montreal, dissed a street person who demanded money for telling them where to go when they already knew, bought a lottery ticket and WON $20,

Between the three of them, they met about half of you. Funniest lesson that none of us thought to tell them? When you take a bus, you need to stand on the side of the street that points toward where you are going. :)

Santa Ana...
Level Contributor
98 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any Rules for Teens?

Meanwhile, the 11 year old and I had a WONDERFUL time visiting the DeYoung, shopping (briefly - too expensive for her tastes) in Union Square, hitting Russian Treasures, the boudin Bakery (FABULOUS tomato soup) , Pier 39's Sock Store and Magret store, Kuletos for dinner where we were treated like QUEENS, and hanging with her sister and her sister's favorite friends.

Sunday, we all hit the Buena Vista for breakfast and two wonderful stores in Ghiradelli, the wood store (always my favorite) and Gigi & Rose for fun girly things, spent the $20 lottery money on matching keychains to remember our good fortune, and rushed to the airport! What a rush - what a memory. Thank you to all who helped us!