We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mid-March San Francisco

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hernando...
Level Contributor
64 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Mid-March San Francisco

Trying to quickly book a Spring Break trip. We live in Mississippi and it's been unusually freezing this winter! Went to San Fran in August 2002 and it was perfect, but what's it like in March? Would love to take my husband there, but don't want to freeze...sick of cold weather. Also, will it be raining much in mid-March?

Thanks for your help.

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,691 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mid-March San Francisco

San Francisco is a great place, always worth a visit. But I wouldn't come here in mid-March, from Missisippi, looking for warmth! The average daily low in March is 49, the average daily high is 62. Average monthly rainfall is 3.4 inches. That means that every few days it's likely to rain some, but rarely in a big honking storm.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
266 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mid-March San Francisco

There isn't any clear answer to your question. March is still considered our rainy season, but this year we had tons of rain and cold weather in December but it has been dry and beautiful for the past several weeks. The rain may return in March ( actually we all hope it does because we need the rain and snow in the mountains for our water supply). But if you need to escape in March, it will be warmer than many places you could travel to. We hope you come and have a good time.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,955 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mid-March San Francisco

Gosh....it might very well rain...usually lasts for a day or two when it does. Bring an umbrella.

Can't predict the temps....but it will NOT be "freezing". Maybe '50's if it's bad, but probably more like '60's and it could even get into the 70's which is has been this week.

If you are used to freezing temperatures you will be very happy in San Francisco. Just remember to dress in layers so that you can add or subtract garments as the temps change.

You will have a great Spring Break.

Let us know if we can give you more info on what to do and see and where to stay.

Hernando...
Level Contributor
64 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mid-March San Francisco

Thanks for your help.

I realize that it won't be really warm in March, but we had planned to try and go skiing, and I just don't want to anymore. I'm sick of the cold. We got snow again today, and the low on Wednesday is going to be 9. AAh!

I remember the last time I was in SF, someone at our hotel told us that SF had the perfect weather year round with something like lows never going past 40s and highs never really exceeding 75 or so. I just want to make sure that it's not going to rain too terribly much because we'll only be able to stay for four nights.

I'd like to rent a car and drive down to Santa Cruz for the day.

Puter, does Santa Cruz share the same weather patterns as SF in mid-March?

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,691 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mid-March San Francisco

I wouldn't say "never," but lows below 40 and highs above 75 are rare. San Francisco just had a couple of days that broke 75, very unusual for February. Places Rated Almanac rated San Francisco's climate #1 in the country. Compared to anywhere else I've been, San Francisco and the Bay Area's climate is pretty mild, it kind of spoils you. It might rain some in mid-March, but it's unlikely to rain a lot, or rain a lot of days.

Come on out.

Edited: 08 February 2011, 04:33
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,955 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mid-March San Francisco

deltadarling,

Santa Cruz is 70 miles south of San Francisco and, yes, the weather patterns are similar.

In either place, believe me, you will not freeze.

I am sitting at my computer in my cotton pj's and have not had the heat on in the house all day.

Don't worry about the rain. We don't get deluges.

As wanderer says..."come on out".

7. Re: Mid-March San Francisco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 October 2012, 04:17