We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

taxi from airport and accomm for 2 Aussie couples

Central Coast NSW
Level Contributor
221 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
taxi from airport and accomm for 2 Aussie couples

We are coming over to San Fran for a visit and have been researching areas to stay, etc. etc. We thought Hotel Nikko because it seems in a good position and close to transport etc. It is quite expensive though - any other suggestons for something in a similar area. If we have to pay that much then we will - definitely want our own rooms in a nice place or it ruins your holiday. We would consider an apartment (with 2 bedrooms) but that seems unusual in San Fran.

Also not sure whether to get a taxi to and from airport. Considering there are 4 of us and we share the expense maybe we should just get a taxi for convenience. Any ideas of cost? However not sure about traffic - are we better to get BART to and from airport?

san francisco
Level Contributor
543 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: taxi from airport and accomm for 2 Aussie couples

With four of you splitting the cost, a taxi will be only marginally more expensive than BART, and more convenient. Expect to pay $32-40, plus tip. As for traffic, it depends upon the time of day -- commuter hours can be a little packed to/from the city, but otherwise is should be fine.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: taxi from airport and accomm for 2 Aussie couples

There are dozens of hotels around Union Square, where the Nikko is. What is your definition of expensive? (In dollars please.) What type of hotel do you like. The Nikko is rather new, highrise and modern (and somewhat Asian in style). Is this what you're shooting for? If so you might also look at the Hyatt Union Square or the Parc 55 -- I'd guess both would be less expensive but fit the template. There is also the Hilton Union Square but it's a big convention oriented hotel, but still a possibility.

If you are open to smaller, boutique hotels there are loads. Chancellor, Rex, Orchard, Inn at Union Square, Kensington, Monaco, Adagio are just a few. All are in the Union Square area.

Where did you check for apartments? A brief wander through www.vrbo.com brings up any number of 2 bedroom apartment rentals. If you see one you like, get the exact address (or street and cross street) and come back here for more info on the neighborhood. Owners like to put the best "spin" on their spots as possible.

Central Coast NSW
Level Contributor
221 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: taxi from airport and accomm for 2 Aussie couples

thanks very much for your quick response - we will be arriving Sat morning and leaving early Fri morning. Don't care even if there is traffic on the Sat - it is just the Fri morning we are concerned about. We are trying for a flight out of San Fran t Las Vegas (Virgin America) at about 8.30 am and I guess we need to get to airport by about 7.00 am. So if we leave hotel in taxi at about 6.30 on a Friday morning are we in "commuting" traffic? PS Can the taxi take 4 adults and 4 bags or will we need one of those bigger ones?

Central Coast NSW
Level Contributor
221 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: taxi from airport and accomm for 2 Aussie couples

thanks also Ramblin Sal

Because we are going to be away for about 2.5 weeks we would not want to pay more than about $200 per night (including all taxes) for each room. I have also been looking at Chancellor Hotel (although not air conditioned but in May I doubt that will be a problem). I will have a look at the other things you suggested also. Important things: clean, position, security of belongings, close to restaurants, close to transport .... oh and not paper thin walls or bed bugs :)

I will also look for apartments but as we are only there for 6 nights not sure if that will be a possibility. Would really also like to be right in the city and I gather Union Square is good position.

My son stayed previously at Intercontinental Mark Hopkins which he said was a good hotel and in a good position but that seems to be over the $200 per night.

I really appreciate your comments - you read everything on these places and eventually it does your head in.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
17,633 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: taxi from airport and accomm for 2 Aussie couples

Most commute traffic is coming into the City, so you should be fine leaving for the airport at that time in the morning. There might be a slight backup on the freeway, but it usually doesn't make a 5-10 min. difference. So, yes, you'll normally be at the airport in 30 minutes or less from Union Square.

Regular taxis should fit 4 plus 4 suitcases (if they're not oversized), but a van taxi might be more comfortable. Your hotel concierge can request one in advance (NOT "book" -- taxis technically don't take reservations, but they're usually pretty eager to get an airport fare).

By the way, as far as air conditioning is concerned, you could be here in August and it wouldn't be a problem!!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: taxi from airport and accomm for 2 Aussie couples

As you are looking for two rooms, I would bet that for $400/night you could find a very nice apartment rental. While sitting here watching TV I found:

http://www.vrbo.com/234393#photos

http://www.vrbo.com/295000

http://www.vrbo.com/215692#photos

http://www.vrbo.com/324655

I strolled through VRBO for Nob Hill, Russian Hill, Marina, and Pacific Heights. Certainly there is more on offer than my meager suggestions.

As Susan has said, you will not need A/C. I've lived here, very comfortably, for 35+ years without it. That is the wonderful thing about SF: the ability to live with fresh air all year around.

Central Coast NSW
Level Contributor
221 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: taxi from airport and accomm for 2 Aussie couples

thanks to both of you - yes taxi sounds the way to go for sure!

I had a look at a few of the apartments - some of them are not available when we want them and it is so hard to tell where a good position is just by looking at a map. And I do not really intend on cooking apart from maybe breakfast. Maybe we should just get 2 hotel rooms around Union Square - is that a good place to stay or do you have a better suggestion. We do not intend on hiring a car so will be using transport and our legs! You would think that a hotel would give you a better price for 2 rooms but they do not seem to.

I appreciate you both taking the time to assist.

No air-con required - that is heaven. We have just been sweltering over here for the past week or so - you would die without air-con (even though I hate it and dislike the electricity account even more)

Georgia
Level Contributor
103 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: taxi from airport and accomm for 2 Aussie couples

Don't rule out a limo for your trip from the airport. It's not as expensive as it sounds, and is right in line with a taxi. We use Pleasant Limo--fast, courteous, and as I said competitively priced.

http://www.pleasantlimo.com/web/index.php

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,579 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: taxi from airport and accomm for 2 Aussie couples

Union Square is a good place to stay. Access to all of the different kinds of public transportation is available there.

I think you would enjoy the Nikko Hotel, which you have already mentioned. We stayed there many times but have not in the past few years. The top floor has a lovely pool under an atrium roof. The hotels RamblinSal mentioned are also good. I prefer the location of the Hyatt Union Square to the Parc 55, which sits just above the Powell Street BART station. The corner is pretty busy.

Central Coast NSW
Level Contributor
221 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: taxi from airport and accomm for 2 Aussie couples

Hi RamblinSal

Have found a place in Nob HIll I like through vrbo. Never used vrbo before. How do I know if it is all legitimate. Good pics etc and the owner sounds really nice and genuine. But you have to pay 50% of the rent 2 months before you get there - and the rest 2 weeks before you arrive. Is this normal? (through PayPal). I would love your opinion.

Thanks