We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxis in SF

Canada
Level Contributor
2,519 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Taxis in SF

A quick question: I'm planning to take BART in from SFO in week's time to get to the Donatello. I've taken BART before from SFO and it was fine, so no worries there.

Should my flight be significantly delayed, however, I might consider grabbing a taxi or a shuttle instead. I have an aversion to taxis after too many rather unpleasant trips in various cities around the world (including my own, where taxi drivers are pretty awful and the taxis are old and crummy), so I wonder what taxi rides in general are like in San Francisco? Can I expect the kind of horror trips I've experienced in other places (e.g., crazy fast drivers yakking on cell phones the whole way as I've experienced in Ottawa and Montreal, or argumentative nasty ones as I've seen in Vancouver)? Or, is there a decent standard of driver/vehicle/service, as in London where the black cabs are wonderful?

When I know I will need a taxi for sure from an airport, I often now just book a towncar despite the extra cost as the drivers and cars are more professional.

Thanks!

Best Seller
Napa and Sonoma Wine Country Tour
2,257 reviews
from US$99.00*
Best Seller
San Francisco Super Saver: Muir...
1,577 reviews
from US$117.00*
Best Seller
Big Bus San Francisco Sightseeing and...
209 reviews
from US$110.00*
Best Seller
Muir Woods, Giant Redwoods and...
2,472 reviews
from US$62.00*
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxis in SF

I don't mention them often but Pleasant Limo is about the same price as a cab and they have excellent service: totally clean town car and excellent drivers. I usually take them to the airport ... I believe when you arrive you call them and they are waiting at the cell phone lot.

Family run Mongolian immigrants. Very hard working people.

http://www.pleasantlimo.com/web/index.php

Edited: 22 February 2011, 23:11
Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,828 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxis in SF

We were in SF this weekend, took at least 6 cabs. All were clean, the drivers spoke English, and got us to our restaurant or hotel just fine. One guy was a little koo koo, but we laughed about it.

We grab a cab because we want to get in the City as fast as possible. Made it in 20 minutes this trip, no traffic and $37 plus tip. It's usually about $42. We usually take a Towncar back to SFO, because it can be arranged minutes before we check out of the hotel, and the cost is only about $10 more.

san francisco
Level Contributor
543 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxis in SF

The taxis are fine, you needn't worry if you have to take one. Have a great trip!

Canada
Level Contributor
2,519 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxis in SF

Thanks for the info. Pleasant Limo looks pretty good, actually. Good to see that taxis are pretty decent in San Francisco. The last time I took a taxi where I live (Regina, SK) the driver went down a one-way street, and the time before that the guy nearly hit a parked car when he tried to pass someone on the right. Ugh. Never hurts to check on these things!

walsall west...
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxis in SF

Hi how much would a taxi cost from airport to union square which company do i use also how do i book my trips

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxis in SF

lynnew -- cab from airport to Union Square is $35-40. No need to book, there is always a long line of cabs waiting.

If you want to book a cab for the return trip there are a variety of companies. Yellow Cab is one: 415-333-3333.

walsall west...
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxis in SF

what about booking trips i need a good company so i dont get ripped off

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
6,139 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxis in SF

Taxis are highly regulated in San Francisco. There's no danger of being ripped off. Prices are clearly marked along with any extra fare items such as airport surcharges, etc.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
844 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxis in SF

" There's no danger of being ripped off." - sorry, not true. If the driver thinks you don't know the city, he will make rounds to get more money, happened to us twice, and we don't take taxis often. Once after the cruise that ended in SF, and once coming from the Opera.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,828 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taxis in SF

" If the driver thinks you don't know the city, he will make rounds to get more money"

Maybe, but not necessarily. The City is full of one way streets, blocked off streets and different reasons why they have to go a couple blocks in one direction, to be able to return you to your hotel where they can let you off in front of the Lobby.