We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Francisco when where what?

Temecula, California
Level Contributor
265 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
San Francisco when where what?

I want to take my 14 yr old daughter somewhere fun and thought she would enjoy San Francisco. She is an artsy vintage nature loving girl..any suggestions on when to go when it is not so crowded and what to see besides the obvious ie cable cars, Alcatraz, the wharf, china town...eating....trying to trade my interval time share for a week. I have read the info provided on TA but still like some personalized suggestions. I think I am going to request the Suites at Fisherman's Wharf. Should we drive from Temecula CA or Fly and use public trans? My husband will be joining us too.

san francisco
Level Contributor
543 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Francisco when where what?

I would probably fly. It can be a really nice drive, but once you get to SF your car will be a burden, especialyl if you stay in the Fisherman's Wharf area.

Your daughter would no doubt enjoy a stroll along Haight street, through the Haight-Ashbury neighborhood and then into Golden Gate Park, where you can check out the Conservatory of Flowers, the DeYoung Museum and/or the Academy of Sciences (though big crowds usually at the latter two).

Could also be worth your while to take BART to Berkeley, walk along Telegraph Avenue, then check out the UC Berkeley campus (thus subtly inculcating ideas of college in your daughter:) Also on the weekend she would probably enjoy the flea market at the Ashby BART station.

A walk around the Mission District and the murals of Balmy Alley.

The Castro.

If you have the car, a drive up to Guerneville in the Russian River Valley, or to Pt. Reyes and the town of Pt. Reyes station, or both, is one hell of day.

Have a great trip!

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
6,045 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Francisco when where what?

Any time is nice to visit San Francisco, but if you can swing it, September heading into October is fabulous sunshine most of the time. Though I imagine you, like most families, have to deal with kid's school schedules.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: San Francisco when where what?

When are you coming?

The current Pulp Fashion exhibit at the Legion of Honor is a lot of fun! I see a lot of mother/daughter groups enjoying it. Runs through June 5. …famsf.org/legion/exhibitions/pulp-fashion-a…

Balenciaga and Spain is at the deYoung runs 3/26-7/4 ... should also be fun. …famsf.org/deyoung/…balenciaga-and-spain

4. Re: San Francisco when where what?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2012, 14:18