We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tours to Muir woods

East
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Topic
Tours to Muir woods

Any recommendation for a tour to muir woods. Cant decide on which tour company to go with, so many to choose from. Was thinking of combining the city tour & muir woods within a day. Is that a good idea?

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,383 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tours to Muir woods

Hi,

Here is a reply I gave to a poster just a few days ago.

There are more operators____let me know if you need more info.

"Most tour operators for Muir Woods take you there and leave you for around an hour where you are on your own to explore different trails and join in the talks by Park Rangers. They then take you on to Sausalito for another hour or you can stay as long as you like and catch the ferry back. (recommended)

San Francisco Shuttle Tours offer a little more with a slightly longer stop at the woods___they have a seperate guide (not the driver/guide) who explains more and they also stop at Marin Headlands and beach.

sanfranshuttletours.com/muir_woods_tours.htm

As far as value goes if you were considering a city tour as well then Dylans tour offers that plus Muir Woods( over an hour) and Sausalito but it all takes around four and a half hours plus and you may not have time.

http://dylanscitytours.com/

City Sightseeing on their hop on- hop off tours does a Muir Woods( over an hour) / Sausalito loop that may suit you.

http://www.city-sightseeing.us/muirwoods.html"

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tours to Muir woods

Hiiii :)

We went with Dylan Tours who were totally fantastic, and were able to spend 90 minutes in the woods. Infact have just booked again in a few weeks as visiting SAn Fran with my Mother and just know this is the best tour for her to fall in love with this wonderful place :)

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
253 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tours to Muir woods

We took Elie's city tour which included Muir Woods. We saw so much with many stops for photos. Friendly, informative driver who also takes photos of your group and gives you a CD of musicians from San Francisco. Best price too and you save $5 if you book online.

http://www.greendreamtours.com/

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tours to Muir woods

Dylan has been expanding his operations and now has a store front which will soon be in operation. He has bicycles there too. I did not have Dylan but his unemployed friend as a guide. We spent less than an hour at the woods and the rest of the itinerary was altered. Maybe too much fame has watered down the quality.

East
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tours to Muir woods

Gloria thanks for the tip.

Too bad Elie's city tour is closed for now & only resume May or April. I'm arriving late march.

Down Under
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
7,383 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tours to Muir woods

littlesophie,

I really don't think Dylan is that silly to let this (perhaps once only) situation get out of hand.

He usually gets very good reviews and I have recommended several people including friends and family and they all were very happy with his tour.

I think if you ask if he personally will be doing the tour and explain why you are asking that question then you will be fine.

I have no doubt that Gloria had a bad experience but I don't think that should influence your decision too much.

East
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tours to Muir woods

Haha... good suggestion, will definitely request that he personally lead the tour if possible.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tours to Muir woods

I feel right in mentioning my experience because it was the worst tour I have ever been on. This other guide said that he would now being doing more of the tours. Therefore, I think that customers should be aware of this new development. I was very excited by the prospect of taking Dylan's tour and was very upset by what occurred on this tour.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tours to Muir woods

I notice that Dylan's website has changed and he now has a physical location and is doing a bike tour. I do hope this is not a case of "biting off more than one can chew" as Dylan has always gotten great reviews here. But I would recommend that anyone interested in this tour confirm, at least until these changes "shake out of the bag" that Dylan will be the one leading your tour.

From the "About Us" page on his site:

"In the past year, Dylan's Tours has expanded to include Dylan's Landmark Bike Tour. Dylan and his brother Brendan, have opened a bike tour and rental shop in San Francisco's Historic North Beach District. The two felt they could offer another great way to show people San Francisco. This opportunity has been a life-long dream for Dylan and he is extremely excited to share his love of San Francisco through the Famous Driving Tour and now, Dylan's Landmark Bike Tour. Dylan is proud to be a 100% local San Francisco business and is looking forward to the future! We'll see you soon."

Gloria, I hope you do a review of Dylan's Tour here: tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60713-d14…

10. Re: Tours to Muir woods

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2012, 11:16