We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calling the UK - cell phone or phone card?

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Yorkshire, United...
Level Contributor
882 posts
188 reviews
Save Topic
Calling the UK - cell phone or phone card?

Hi there,

Tried doing a search for some advice on the forum already but can't see too much about it.

I'll be wanting to ring family in the UK a few times whilst we're in California in April and I'm just trying to find out the cheapest/easiest solution.

When I went to Florida I bought a Walmart international phone card which we could use on the hotel phone and lasted for ever!

Last year I tried to find the card in Atlanta and couldn't see one, (probably as it's less touristy) and used my mobile which cost a small fortune!

So do you know if international phone cards are easily available in San Francisco or is it better for me to try and get hold of a pay as you go cell phone cheaply?

Thanks for your help!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,289 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Calling the UK - cell phone or phone card?

International phone cards are widely available in San Francisco - try the Wallgreen's drug store chain (I think you'd call it a chemist's) to start. These stores are all over San Francisco and will always have these cards at the lowest price.

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,851 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Calling the UK - cell phone or phone card?

Do you have a computer, wi-fi access, and Gmail/Google Voice? That would be easiest (just log in) and cheapest (free)!

Yorkshire, United...
Level Contributor
882 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Calling the UK - cell phone or phone card?

It was Walgreens actually that we got them from in Florida! Fab, sounds like that will be the easiest then. Thanks!

You are right about using the internet but sadly we're ringing our parents and they've not quite got to grips with the internet yet!!

Berkeley, California
Destination Expert
for Berkeley
Level Contributor
5,851 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Calling the UK - cell phone or phone card?

Only you need the Internet. You use it to call a phone number... Although I realize now that it isn't actually free to call a UK number (at least with an American Gmail account). It costs something like 2¢/minute.

Yorkshire, United...
Level Contributor
882 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Calling the UK - cell phone or phone card?

That sounds like it might be worth looking into then!

san francisco
Level Contributor
543 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Calling the UK - cell phone or phone card?

Not just Walgreens, but most liquor stores and convenience stores carry phone cards as well. They are everywhere you will have no problems...

San Francisco
Level Contributor
29 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Calling the UK - cell phone or phone card?

You can purchase calling cards in most liquor stores. Many are operated by immigrants. The Cal card is great. Walgreens has them as well. A $5 card gets you almost an hour calls.

Enjoy your stay in our wonderful city.

Edited: 17 March 2011, 23:31
Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Calling the UK - cell phone or phone card?

Another option is buying a cheap pre-paid phone. Tracfone offers "free" International calling with its plan...

http://www.tracfoneild.com/

You can buy a basic Tracfone for $9.99 at many convenience stores, grocery stores and other locations.

The benefit is that you can use the phone for local calls, and also call home.

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
18 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Calling the UK - cell phone or phone card?

is this an international SIM card so that i can put it in my mobile?

i am carrying Samsung phone and i am coming from Egypt to visit California in May and iam searching for an american cell line for tourists so that i can make cheap calls to Egypt and send SMS.

Thanks in advance and i apprecaite your feedback.

10. Re: Calling the UK - cell phone or phone card?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 November 2012, 16:36