We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Columbus Day

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
auckland
Level Contributor
421 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
Columbus Day

Hi there, we will be in San Francisco 7-11 October.Am I correct-Columbus Day is 10 Oct?Presume it is a public holiday?Will this mean tourist attractions/shops etc are closed?And are there any special events we can look forward to seeing on that day?Thanks so much.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,803 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Columbus Day

Most everything except government offices and banks will be open that day. I know I have to work!

Don't miss the Columbus Day Parade that runs though North Beach- it's always a lot of fun.

www.sfcolumbusday.org/parade/index.html

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
8,856 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Columbus Day

Shops and tourist sites will be open.

That's Fleet Week, so the waterfront will be packed with people watching airshows and touring Navy ships. There should also be a Columbus Day parade through North Beach that weekend. Lots of fun.

Banks, the post office, and government offices will be closed on Columbus Day.

California
Level Contributor
1,632 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Columbus Day

It's not considered a "major" holiday so just about everything will be open, except as mentioned, banks, most schools, and government offices. Most government workers are off that day, so some places might be more crowded than usual. But I know all state of CA employees don't get that day off anymore.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,311 posts
423 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Columbus Day

Columbus Day in North Beach is a blast, don't miss it.

Fleet Week is so much fun too.

http://www.fleetweek.us/

We will be up there for a few days business (me), shopping (DW) and the Cal USC football game at AT&T (rest of family).

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Columbus Day

FYI, Columbus Day in the US also is Thanksgiving Day in Canada, so you might find some more "tourists" in the area from up north.

Stores will be open, and some will have special "Columbus Day" sales, and the Tourist Attractions should all be open.

Also, many schools will have the day off, either as a holiday, or as they now call it Administrative" day, which is a day designed for Teachers to get education. (But in reality, most of these days are days known for high unexcused absences, such as the parent having the day off and will spend the day with the kids, instead of sending them to school. Since schools get paid by attendance, doing this helps with the budget, as students are not required to show up).

auckland
Level Contributor
421 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Columbus Day

Thanks to you all for the information and links, sounds as if we'll have plenty to watch!

ScottCA-what is the game you mention?One of those crazy gridiron games?D.H is a rugby - mad kiwi, hoping to see some kind of game-if not gridiron then any other kind of American- type sport such as basketball.We had thought we might try to do that in New York, but maybe this game might be fun?Advice gratefully accepted!

(D.H is very lucky , because as well as me deciding he can watch some sport while we're away , he's coming back to a seat at the Rugby World Cup final-go the All Blacks!)

auckland
Level Contributor
421 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Columbus Day

One more question, sorry.Just been looking at the links, is it necessary to buy tickets to the airshow, or is it easily visible?

And (sub-question!) are there any recommended spots for viewing the Columbus parade?Thanks again.

Pacifica, California
Destination Expert
for Pacifica
Level Contributor
8,856 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Columbus Day

Yes,the annual USC (University of Southern California) beat-down of Cal (University of California, Berkeley) is a crazy "gridiron" game. It's played on October 13, though, so you'll miss it.

You don't need to buy tickets to the airshow. The seats for sale are premium seats, out on a pier, I think.

auckland
Level Contributor
421 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Columbus Day

Thanks, Simba.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Columbus Day

Columbus Day is a real mixed bag as far as holidays go.

Columbus Day used to be a state government holiday but it is no longer. State government workers will be on the job and all state government offices will be open.

dpa.ca.gov/personnel-policies/holidays.htm

It is still a federal government holiday so federal offices and banks will be closed.

opm.gov/Operating_Status_Schedules/…2011.asp

Edited: 29 March 2011, 16:37