We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nascar or Giants?!?

Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Nascar or Giants?!?

So I am on my honeymoon in San Francisco in June and am 'allowed' (!) one sporting event while there, the thing is I just found out that it is the Sonoma NASCAR weekend.

Now I have been to lots of baseball games and stadiums, but my soon to be wife hasn’t. I want my wife to obviously also enjoy the choice too and she has never been to Baseball, but the likelihood of another trip to the states coinciding with NASCAR seems unlikely and maybe a chance not to be missed?

BTW she has never been to baseball and I know this is an experience also not to be missed.

Help! what would you choose?

Thanks in advance!

Lynx the Animator
Other Fun & Games
Urban Putt
Game & Entertainment Centres
Portsmouth Square
Playgrounds, Parks
Reason
Room Escape Games
San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nascar or Giants?!?

It's my opinion only but I do not understand driving fast in a circle burning up thousands of gallons of gas. Giants get my vote.

(Besides, you'd need to rent a car to get to Sonoma and the drive is about 45 minutes). It also can be hot up there even in June.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
20,909 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nascar or Giants?!?

It may be a good idea to tell her what you just told us and then give her some idea of what it would be like at each one and either let her choose or choose together based on how the discussion goes.

Some people don't like being at Nascar races because of the noise. Some find it pointless as well. Others find the noise and action exciting and interesting. Some people find baseball games boring and slow. Others find them to be fun and at times surprising. I wonder what she thinks of each one if given a bit of a description.

If she leaves the decision up to you it would be awesome in my opinion to choose baseball because you can explain it to her as the game is going on and maybe even cuddle a bit ~ as well as be able to talk. Going to a baseball game seems like a very "American" experience too.

Give her the choice, though, and try not to talk in terms of "being allowed" to do something since the real team is you two.

Edited: 07 April 2011, 15:30
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Nascar or Giants?!?

Thanks for the advice, being 'allowed' was British sarcasm! She would be happy to do both i'm sure but we both want to have a good time at the end of the day.

I do have a car to get up to Sonoma, but hadnt thought about the afternoon heat either, at least the baseball is on in both evenings and will be more of a fun thing to do after a long day and not sit in blazing sun for 4 hours! Maybe a couple of drinks afterwards too with some friends who live nearby.

I will have a discussion with her though and see what the verdict is, tried the giants site for tickets today and they seem a bit sparse even 2 months in advance at all price levels (expect they have gone up after world series). It may have to be a trip to the A's instead....

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nascar or Giants?!?

Check Stub Hub for Giants tickets. www.stubhub.com

Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Nascar or Giants?!?

Is this Stub Hub reputable? They have some amazing tickets...but seem pretty cheap....

Just realised the As aren't at home, so will have to be Giants.

Edited: 07 April 2011, 16:06
San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nascar or Giants?!?

Aside from NASCAR being exceeding boring (sorry couldn't resist), but it often takes HOURS to get out of there. Lots of people on narrow roads all at the same time. Not my idea of a fun day at all.

The basaball park is beautiful and you can walk to and from it. Just something to think about.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
36,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nascar or Giants?!?

Yes, they are reputable. It's not just used by visitors, many locals use it as well.

Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Nascar or Giants?!?

Thanks, I can get the tickets delivered to friends address in the city anyway if that is straight forward, most come out a few days before for download.

Seems the deals are far better on there than on the offical site.

Cheers for the heads up will decide tonight.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
29,341 posts
6,139 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nascar or Giants?!?

By the way, NASCAR season so far this year has been a lot of fun. The drivers are amazing and its been a fairly competitive year already. The downside of Sonoma is the traffic - but the race in Sonoma is expected to be tons of fun this year. Yes, its warm to hot in Sonoma - but how often are you so lucky to be able to see a NASCAR race in the United States? Get some good suntan lotion; some hats; and have a good time.

Or if you just do the Giants - that is fun too, of course.

But did want to let you know that the Sonoma NASCAR race looks to be quite the thing to do given the race season so far.

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
16,990 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nascar or Giants?!?

Giants - hands down. The park itself is neat and it is in a very scenic location so even if the game is boring, you can look out on the bay. Baseball is laid back and the people tend to be pretty friendly at Giants stadium. Plus, as others have said, you can take Muni to the park. Traffic to get to Sonoma on a race day is brutal - we've made the mistake of going in the general direction of the racetrack on race day and been stuck in terrible traffic.